need for Canadian currency

Going on Canadian Maritimes trip in August. Wondering how much Canadian currency we should take with us or can most things be purchased with your credit card.

Comments

• Hi Florence,

I should think a credit card will be absolutely fine for most shopping occasions! However, I do think it's a good idea to have a small amount of local currency. You can choose to use an ATM or whatever you call those cash machines in Halifax and elsewhere, but in my experience I can never find one of those when I need it, so I do buy foreign notes before I leave home. You will have to decide for yourself about the pros and cons of fx fees for over the counter currency purchases as against the fees enclosed within credit card purchases. Some CCs have really steep embedded fees and very odd exchange rates! And then there is peace of mind. I opt for peace of mind every time!

Enjoy your trip. It is a fabulous part of Canada and wait till you start on the seafood! Yum!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Living 20 minute from Canada we usually use American Dollars when we don't use our credit card. The exchange rate is even today...well the dollar a couple pennies higher but basically even. Most we encounter take the bucks and use them when they travel south into the U.S. Those Loonies and Twoonies get a little heavy in your pocket when they add up. Love the Maritimes and the people are some of the friendliest in the world. Have a wonderful trip.
  • Hi Florence: If you have an account with Bank of America, you can use Scotia Bank ATM's with no fee in Canada. I checked the website & there are Scotia banks everywhere we go. Probably other big banks have similar arrangements with other Canadian banks...you might check with your bank. Also there are a variety of credit cards these days that have no foreign transaction fees which sure beats the normal 3%. Which August trip are you on? Bonnie
  • to Lynbonnie,

We are going on the August 5th. trip to Canadian Maritimes. Thanks for the information about Bank of America is the same as Scotia Bank in Canada

Florence
  • Yes Florence, i am fully agree with jdurkin. Shopping with credit card in the canadian region will be a good option than the shopping with cash. This thing will not give the extra burden on your mind.

I went on the Canadian Rockies/Glacier National Park tour last summer and had no problems at all with either my VISA card or US cash. I called my bank first to let them know where and when I would be. The only times I used cash was for small purchases, like ice cream or stamps, as well as cash to tip the tour director and bus driver. Hope you have a great trip...I'm going on this tour July 28 - August 7. Dot
This discussion has been closed.