Wishing to connect with those of you on the Sept 30th trip.

We are on the Sept 30th trip to London/Paris with 2 days before and 2 days after the Tauck tour. We look forward to meeting our fellow travelers.

Comments

• Hi! My husband and I will also be on this trip. It is out first trip to Europe and first with Tauck. We plan to arrive one day early, then following Paris we are going to Italy for a week. We are from Harrisburg, PA and newly retired. Very excited about this trip. If you have traveled to Europe before, do you have any tips and suggestions for first-timers? Look forward to meeting you. Peg & Walt
  • Hi Peg & Walt. Yes, we spent 17 days in Italy in 2010. Loved it! You will find the people in Italy very gracious and helpful. My suggestion is that you learn a few common phrases but it's amazing how many people speak English. We took the wrong bus in Rome and rode it to the end of the line. A little bit of Italian helped us find the way back to our hotel. It also helped in Florence when we got turned around in the city. Our tour company in Italy was Insight Vacations; we extended our stay there. We're doing the same with this trip guided by Tauck. It's our first Tauck tour but friends have glowing remarks. Our trip to London & Paris is our first in those countries. My husband is not yet retired but plans to do so in the next couple of years. We are looking forward to meeting you. We live in Louisville, KY. We are Don & Jeri.
  • Hi, Don and Jeri It's getting closer and I'm starting to think about what I need to pack. Fall clothes? Will we still need some summer-weight clothes? Is it standard to usually wear jeans when touring or do we need less casual. Do we dress up a bit for dinner? I don't want to take more than necessary, but I want to be prepared. What time of year did you visit Italy? Also, did you have ideas for your free time?
  • Peg, I'm having the same questions. But I'll end up packing my standard rain jacket, some pretty shaws that double for extra warmth and dressy evening wraps. Everything will be washable in the hotel sink; drip dry overnight. Doubt we will pack jeans because they are bulky and won't dry overnight. Definitely not bringing my good jewelry. A friend got into a tussel with a fellow near the Eiffel Tower over her wedding ring. We were in Italy for the month (most of it) of May. A little rainy in Florence and Tuscany but otherwise perfect weather. You can't travel for that long and never have bad weather I guess. Not sure about our free time. I have 2 clients who live in London and 3 in Paris so I may mix work with pleasure. I usually only see them when they come to the US. We have booked a trip from Paris to Normandy for Oct 7th or 8th...I can't remember. Long day but we cant come so far and miss out on that area. We also purchased the London Pass with Travelcard for getting around on Sept 27-30 before we meet the Tauck tour. How about you? What plans are you making? (Jeri)
  • We really only have the one pre-day in London. We arrive at 10 AM and I hope we can cope with jet lag and be ok to see a bit. We love to walk, and even an over-view on a double decker bus might be good if we're too tired. I was hoping the conciege or our guide might have some suggestions. I would like to try the Tube over to tour the Globe Theatre-I think it is out of season for their plays. It would be nice to catch the Changing of the Guard which I think is every other day. Also a boat ride on the Thames would be nice. A tour of St. Paul's cathedral is another option. These are a few ideas I had. Was trying to catch some things that don't seem included in our tour. For France, I really have no ideas and don't have any extra days there as we have to fly out the final morning for our 9 day trip to Italy. We booked that with Adventures by Disney (adults only). Our AAA travel agent felt the two companies were similar, so we wanted to compare them for future trips. We like tours that are very inclusive and where we hope to get VIP treatment. We haven't received out pre-trip packets yet-they come thru our travel agent, but hope it will assist with planning.
  • Peg - your extended trip to Italy sounds wonderful. We are hoping to do the same as you in London and Paris -- use our extra days to see the things not included in the Tauck itinerary. We are looking forward to meeting you.
This discussion has been closed.