Options

Activities to do in the evening

My wife and I will be on the Dec 2 cruise beginning in Vienna. I'm curious about what activities, if any, are offered after dinner. For those who have been on this cruise are the river boats docked near the downtowns of the cities we visit? I think my wife and I would enjoy doing some walking around the towns to see points of interest if convient and the weather cooperates.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2018
    JohnKS wrote:
    My wife and I will be on the Dec 2 cruise beginning in Vienna. I'm curious about what activities, if any, are offered after dinner. For those who have been on this cruise are the river boats docked near the downtowns of the cities we visit? I think my wife and I would enjoy doing some walking around the towns to see points of interest if convient and the weather cooperates.

I have only been on the Blue Danube, but many of the towns are the same. First, as to activities in the evening, the website itinerary and the green book should give you a good idea- if nothing is listed, you'll be on your own. There is the "captain's welcome reception followed by dinner early this evening" followed by "a visit to Vienna's Christmas Markets, illuminated at night," on Day 1 and an opportunity to help "trim the ship's Christmas tree and enjoy some seasonal treats," after dinner on Day 2, and "After dinner, enjoy an onboard classical music performance by Donau Klang," on Day 3. However, in general most dinners are late and relaxed so there is almost no time for evening activities.

Many of the city centers and XMAS markets are not near where the boats dock so shuttle buses are needed (e.g. in Vienna, Regensburg, Nurnberg.) You'll be within walking distance from town in Linz if you decide not to take the full day excursion to Salzburg, and again in Passau. Typically the XMAS Markets will be in or near the old town ("Innere Stadt") if you look closely at Google Maps or CruiseMapper. Also, often the ship will depart for the next stop while you are eating dinner.

Although many river boats may be in their wintering-over berths (the MS Savor is still in Linz) you can get a good idea where the boat may be docked compared to town by searching on the boat or port name after following this link to CruiseMapper.

Finally, this trip involves a lot of walking and many passengers call it a night and head for their cabins after dinner. Night owls will hang around for drinks in the Panorama Lounge and possibly listen to piano music for awhile.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Alan,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did read the itinerary and realized that there were a few scheduled night activities. :) Thanks for your insight on the boat dock location for the towns. I'm guessing, and it is just a hunch, we may need to travel from Linz to Passau by bus based on what I've been following from people who have been traveling with another river cruise line the past few weeks. Fortunately for us we don't mind the walking and will take advantage of the opportunity to do a bit of exploring after dinner if the opportunity presents itself. However, listening to piano music sounds good too. Thanks again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file