Options

currency

I would think that a credit card works for incidentals at the large hotels but what about small vendors

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2018
    I can see this is your first post so you probably are not familiar with how to use this forum. But this subject has been discussed ad nauseam in the past so you can do a search to see the details.

Many venues accept credit cards, but other than the hotels they normally add a service charge. US currency is accepted everywhere, but it must be series 2006 or newer, the bills must be undamaged, and unwrinkled. We carry a lot of singles, which take up a lot of space if not ‘new’ so we actually iron them and they take up much less space. There are places where you don’t ‘need’ cash, but if you want to make a purchase you will need US dollars as described above. We have frequently exchanged money for other travelers who did not have ‘proper’ currency, and the vendor would not accept their money. Having done Africa three times, we carry ‘extra’ cash to help people who have not done their homework. If you plan on purchasing tanzanite you might also want to bring a few checks. They will negotiate lower prices for either cash or a check.

We carry a lot of singles for ‘incidental’ tips. Tauck takes care of tips for everything Tauck buys, but if you buy drinks, have laundry done, or want ice delivered to your room or tent, you may want to have some ‘tip’ money.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I would think that a credit card works for incidentals at the large hotels but what about small vendors

Yes, plastic is accepted at all hotel gift shops- you can use plastic at the time of purchase or put it on your bill. You must keep in mind, however, opportunities for purchasing "incidentals" or souvenirs are extremely limited, elsewhere. Most likely you won't go into town in Arusha. If you take a tour of Arusha National Park you'll need cash for the tour. There are no opportunities to purchase stuff "on the economy," until you return to Arusha and stop at the Tanzanian Cultural Center (a REALLY HUGE PLACE that has just about everything you are likely to see elsewhere) and they accept plastic. There will be typically aggressive street vendors at the TZ/Kenya border, and at the entrance to Amboseli National Park, but you won't see anything there that you can't get at the hotels, TZ Cultural Center, or during your visit to the Maasai village. You'll need cash at the village, but again, the same stuff is generally available at the hotels and Cultural Center. The main shopping opportunities at Mount Kenya are the hotel, a vendor just outside the gate (lots of carved animals), and at the spinners and weavers- they all accept plastic.

One bit of advice- front load your purchases and if you see something you want, get it right then and there, don't wait in hopes of finding the same thing elsewhere or at a cheaper price.
  • Options
    I recommend everyone read and heed Sealord post on Sept 22 about small bills. Lot of poverty in Africa and Tanzania, so a one dollar tip is a big deal and there are many people working for tips, starting at the airport.
  • Options
    We normally bring 200 singles ... that’s why we iron them. If we start with a really wrinkled one we use spray starch. It works really well. 200 wrinkled singles make quite a stack. Flat ones are easier to manage, and result in really fast service. (;-)
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I am fortunate. Being Canadian my US currency from the bank looks freshly minted. I didn't realize that US dollars were so widely accepted, thought I would have to bring Kenyan or Tanzanian currency. Easy now
  • Options
    I was reading today that Kenya has just produced some very attractive new coins, replacing past leaders with animals. The one the article shows is of an elephant. I’d love to get some next time I visit
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I had some Tanzania schillings when we got to Nairobi on our first trip, and suddenly discovered they were worthless in Kenya. The bar would not take them and the hotel would not exchange them. This last trip I avoided changing any money. There is an event in the ‘crater’ that provides an opportunity to use small ‘newer’ unwrinkled U.S., and they won’t take credit cards or that old hundred, or fifty in your wallet. Thinking of the ‘credit card everywhere’ suggestion: there are a number of ‘opportunities’ to use cash, and some are in unlikely places. In my opinion it is always a good idea to have some money in small bills ... and a credit card in your backpack or your Tilley.
  • Options
    British wrote:
    I was reading today that Kenya has just produced some very attractive new coins, replacing past leaders with animals. The one the article shows is of an elephant. I’d love to get some next time I visit

1.jpg

2.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks Alan, nice aren’t they!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file