Options

Traveling Solo -AJP

I will be traveling solo on this fantastic tour and just checking to see if any other solo travelers are out there?

I also considered just using the duffel bag as luggage but its to awkward to carry around airports so I have a very thin
backpack that I put it in along with my camera....it takes up so much room in luggage...

I also am arriving one day early and want to arrange for some kind of tour, I was told to just wait as there will be others on the same flight from Amsterdam.

Can't wait !!!!

Comments

• Options
    There was a solo traveler on our trip and she was welcomed by everyone. There were twenty of us on the KLM flight from Amsterdam, but I don’t think anyone connected until we got on the bus in Arusha. Some people took the guided walk around the lake in Arusha including my wife, but I don’t think anyone went to the Arusha park. Mostly people rested up for the onslaught ahead. We got home a couple hours ago, after 20 hours of flying over a 25 hour period. We are exhausted dumb. This is not a ‘relaxing’ vacation. We did thirteen safari outings, and most days started before dawn ... bring a flashlight. I also carry two LED night lites. My wife once got disoriented while sleep walking at night and ripped a lamp off the wall thiniking it was the door handle to the bathroom. There were thirty in our group plus two tour directors, and we knew everyone by name by the end of the first week. There always seems to be one couple that is a little ‘different’ and this trip did not disappoint. But, the crowd as a whole was very compatible. We had a great time.
  • Options
    We went four years ago. Sealord recapped it well. We had three solo women on the trip and not only did they bond but were part of the group in no time. We too had the one oddball but everyone else was great.
    If you are there on Wed or Sat you can hire a guide at the hotel and go through the Arusha Market. It is a very short walk from the hotel. Very enlightening but don't go alone. The vendors are very aggressive. We also did the hike around the lake. I would do that. After 19 hours in the air it did the body good. We too elected not to go to the National Park because of the time, expense and knowing we were going to be busy.
    My husband and I consider this to be one of our top trips ever. It is busy, busy, busy. You don't get much down time until you get to the Mt. Kenya Safari Club, where I would recommend getting a massage!
    Enjoy.
  • Options
    I traveled solo on that trip last summer. There was one other solo traveler, who was a Tauck guide for other trips, so he and I were often paired on the bus, but that was terrific. He was a wonderful traveling companion, with interesting stories and a relaxed style. I also got to know most of the other travelers, some better than others, but felt very included with the group. Our guide, Seth, was also great. I like to be very active, so when we had any down time at the resorts, he helped me find guided walks and other activities so that I could more fully experience wherever we are. I felt so comfortable traveling solo with Tauck, that I booked another trip with them for next year to India. For me, seeing Kenya and Tanzania, and seeing the natural beauty and the wildlife, and feeling like every detail was considered to maximize my enjoyment of the trip, made the trip an experience of a lifetime. Whenever I see my pictures from the trip, I still can't believe that I got to go there, and have such an amazing experience. Best wishes on your trip.
  • Options
    Hi Andrea, what date is your tour? I am also going solo on the K&T trip that starts Aug 22nd. I'm getting to Arusha a day early.
  • Options
    Sealord, thanks for all the good information! And for taking the time to reply when you returned.
    It’s very helpful for our final packing!
  • Options
    Sealord, thanks for all the good information! And for taking the time to reply when you returned.
    It’s very helpful for our final packing!
  • Options
    Vervet17 wrote:
    I traveled solo on that trip last summer. There was one other solo traveler, who was a Tauck guide for other trips, so he and I were often paired on the bus, but that was terrific. He was a wonderful traveling companion, with interesting stories and a relaxed style. I also got to know most of the other travelers, some better than others, but felt very included with the group. Our guide, Seth, was also great. I like to be very active, so when we had any down time at the resorts, he helped me find guided walks and other activities so that I could more fully experience wherever we are. I felt so comfortable traveling solo with Tauck, that I booked another trip with them for next year to India. For me, seeing Kenya and Tanzania, and seeing the natural beauty and the wildlife, and feeling like every detail was considered to maximize my enjoyment of the trip, made the trip an experience of a lifetime. Whenever I see my pictures from the trip, I still can't believe that I got to go there, and have such an amazing experience. Best wishes on your trip.
  • Options
    Vervett17

I'm travelling solo on the Portrait Of India tour December 2019 any chance you will be travelling in December also
  • Options
    No, I am doing the India and Nepal trip in February, 2019. I'm guessing both tours will be an amazing introduction to the beauty and cultures of India.
    Have a great trip!
  • Options
    Thanks you too
  • Options
    I found that a really nice addition to your gear is a Power Cap. It's a baseball cap with a built-in LED hidden in the visor. Great for walking at night, and you can aim it simply by the angle of your head. I got it at Bob's, but I believe you can get it on Amazon. Some folks get the headlamps if they want more versatility in intensity and color of the illumination.

Doug
  • Options
    Hi Andrea, what date is your tour? I am also going solo on the K&T trip that starts Aug 22nd. I'm getting to Arusha a day early.

I am arriving on the24th for the 25th tour- have a great trip ...maybe we’ll meet up along the way-lol
  • Options
    milmil
    edited August 2018
    Hi Andrea! So you are 1 of the 4 single-independent travelers in this tour.
    I'm also on the 25th and there is Vicki another gal, we are now missing the 4th one. :)))
    Yes! it is getting super exciting! I'm flying into Amsterdam and I'm also in the same flight- to Kilimanjaro.
    C'U there. :))
    Have a safe flight
  • Options
    Hi, Mileg and Andrea. This is Vicky, one of the solos on your tour. Really excited by now - just a little over 24 hrs before I board my first flight. Will see you in Amsterdam - on that same KLM flight. Will be wearing Columbia shirt and pants so surely I'll stand out (HA HA, how many others will too?). Glad to hear there'll be singles, but haven't ever been shunned on one of these nice tours :-)
  • Options
    Hey Vicky , glad to hear you're still part of the group. Yes !4 single travelers, most likely all girls. I'll be wearing same as you :)) a shirt and pants.....lololol!! buah!! Capri pants.... I got my humongoes lens yesterday and I had to repack all over again.... so it has been pretty intense, but know I'm ready!
    C'U in Amsterdam, have a safe flight.
  • Options
    You might need seat numbers ... big airplane. There were twenty of us on that flight last month, and I don’t think any of us met until we got off the plane and our TD met us all ... a day early. Nice touch.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file