Options

Camera lens

I've read the various recommendations, but i have a non-photographer question of sorts:

I have a Canon EOS Rebel 300D (old) with one of the lens that is 55-200. Is that useless to use for getting wildlife pictures?

I've been reading online about lenses, but the 75-300 ones that would make sense budget-wise would not have image stabilization, and the ones that do would be perhaps $500. The lens would likely not be used again and even rentals are hundreds of dollars.

So, should I use the one I have or get an 'inexpensive' Canon or Tamron 75-300?

Thanks again for all the help everyone has given over the years!

Barry

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2018
    doctorbj wrote:
    I've read the various recommendations, but i have a non-photographer question of sorts:

I have a Canon EOS Rebel 300D (old) with one of the lens that is 55-200. Is that useless to use for getting wildlife pictures?

I've been reading online about lenses, but the 75-300 ones that would make sense budget-wise would not have image stabilization, and the ones that do would be perhaps $500. The lens would likely not be used again and even rentals are hundreds of dollars.

So, should I use the one I have or get an 'inexpensive' Canon or Tamron 75-300?

Thanks again for all the help everyone has given over the years!

Barry

I went last time with a 250 mm zoom on my Canon T5i, and decided that was not quite enough. I bought a Canon EF 75-300 used for about $100. It does not have stabalization. AlanS must be out ... I’m sure he will provide more expert advice here soon. (:-)
  • Options
    On eight safaris in Kruger National Park in SA, I used a zoom from 27-300 and that worked well for me. We did get quite close to many of the animals and it may be different in K&T land.
  • Options
    I have a Canon SL-1. I didn't want to change lenses in a dusty bouncing safari vehicle so I picked up another body on eBay. Then decided I didn't want the weight and bulk of two cameras, so before K&T in 2015 I bought a Tamron 16-300. It worked out great. There were very few times where I thought I might want something bigger. The 16 mm is wide enough for all close work, too. I like the lens so much, it is the only one I have taken and used on the five trips since.

Tamron 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD MACRO IS Lens for Canon

Canon EF Lens Mount
    For Cameras with APS-C Sensors
    25.6-480mm (35mm Equivalent)
    Aperture Range: f/3.5-6.3 to f/22-40
    Magnification Ratio of 1:2.9
    One UXR & Four Aspherical Elements
    One XR & Two Low Dispersion Elements
    Vibration Compensation
    Piezo Drive Autofocus System
    Minimum Focus Distance: 15.3"

Currently $599 at B&H Photo Certified refurbs avail on Amazon for $500 or less.
  • Options
    AlanS wrote:
    I have a Canon SL-1. I didn't want to change lenses in a dusty bouncing safari vehicle so I picked up another body on eBay. Then decided I didn't want the weight and bulk of two cameras, so before K&T in 2015 I bought a Tamron 16-300. It worked out great. There were very few times where I thought I might want something bigger. The 16 mm is wide enough for all close work, too. I like the lens so much, it is the only one I have taken and used on the five trips since.

Tamron 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD MACRO IS Lens for Canon

Canon EF Lens Mount
    For Cameras with APS-C Sensors
    25.6-480mm (35mm Equivalent)
    Aperture Range: f/3.5-6.3 to f/22-40
    Magnification Ratio of 1:2.9
    One UXR & Four Aspherical Elements
    One XR & Two Low Dispersion Elements
    Vibration Compensation
    Piezo Drive Autofocus System
    Minimum Focus Distance: 15.3"

Currently $599 at B&H Photo Certified refurbs avail on Amazon for $500 or less.

I have this exact Tamron lens and use it on a Nikon D500. I was on the Tauck Northern India and Nepal trip last year which included 2 safaris. I found this to be an excellent lens for photographing wildlife as well as a very good lens for landscape photography.
  • Options
    Yes, Mr B has that lens too
  • Options
    Hi, doctor bj,

Thought I’d throw in a few thoughts too.

1. I think it’s a little difficult to answer the question. The animals can be at distances from next to the safari vehicle, to way off and barely discernible to the naked eye. So each individual has to find the sweet spot in lens choice, balancing cost, level of interest in photography, and what kind of results one is going for. Although I have pretty good lenses, I don’t think you really need fantastic lenses to get fantastic pictures. Very few people are going to notice noise (“grain”), or lens aberrations. It’s going to be composition and color that make the photo. Some folks can take wonderful pictures with a cell phone. It’s the Indian, not the Arrow.

2. It kind of sounds like you really don’t want to pursue this in taking pictures other than on the safari and want to keep your costs reasonable. So it would seem the others’ suggestions sound good, go for a used lens, with a 300mm reach.

3. It would not seem to me that you really need lens stabilization, if it costs more. You can use an ISO in the 400 to 800 range, you’re usually in strong daylight, and can use high shutter speeds to compensate for camera shake. The vehicles are stopped, and you can rest the camera on the window frame, or bars on top of the vehicle. Lens stabilization becomes more important in low light, like dusk shots.

4. So, the most important thing is to practice and get re-acquainted with your camera before you go so you don’t get frustrated fumbling with the camera and lens when you see the animal you want to get. You can even get in your car, use the window to balance your camera, and practice taking imaginary animals — fire-hydrants, or whatever. But you want to be confident and not panic when you get into the safari vehicle and see that looming lion.

Doug
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Something to think about with long focal length lenses- some are big and heavy which makes it even more difficult to hold still for a shot of distant subjects. You quickly reach a point where a tripod is needed. Tripods are impractical on a Tauck safari. One benefit of a zoom lens over fixed focal length telephoto lens, is that a zoom lens will be much smaller when collapsed.

Another strong vote for Doug's #4. Since I only take photos of my grandkids every few months and Tauck trips (once, sometimes twice, a year) I get out of practice and forget half of what my camera will do. As a result, I almost always shoot in full auto or full auto with flash off- many museums, churches, etc. in Europe do not allow flash.

• Options
    milmil
    edited June 2018
    Hello.
    I'm taking a Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR▻ is this too much?

Thanks
  • Options
    Nice lens however you'll miss some great wide angle shots.
  • Options
    You know, this vacation is about being in the moment, photos are lovely but secondary to the Big picture of being there. I've only recently blown up some of my prints and put them on the wall and I can't really explain what it is really like to anyone who looks at them, you just have to go there to experience it. If that really isn't the truth then all the numerous wildlife programs I watch with footage more amazing than most of us are likely to see when we go to Africa would be enough. Everyone who has misconceptions about this trip when they ask General questions here thinking they are going to be walking about, thrashing through the jungle etc realizes that once they go. We all watch the TV shows and look at photos beforehand, just don't spend the entire trip looking through a lens or you might as well stay at home everyone.
  • Options
    Hi British .
    Yes you're right and that's something I'm going to work on.... I'll have to remind myself to enjoy the moment and then... but it is hard when you're hobby is travel photography. :)
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    We bring one camera, and my wife and I take turns with it. So neither one of us gets ‘focused’ on the pictures while ignoring the subject. That being said, I watch the slide show of our two previous trips frequently. I also like to watch John Wayne ‘in “Hitari”. I’m pretty sure most of that film was made in Ngorongoro.

I do regret missing one shot. I had my iPhone in my pocket and my wife had the camera taking pictures of a pregnant lion as it approached our vehicle. She kept zooming ‘back’ as the lion approached and had no idea it was only three feet away. I could easily have gotten her and the lion in a ‘close up’ shot. I do have pictures of her hugging a lion, but that was during a Bushtracks “Born Free” experience.
  • Options
    Hi Mileg,

Sounds like a great lens to take. I think reaching out to 400 is great, but it depends on whether or not you like those kinds of pictures — e.g. faces of animals.

If travel photography is your thing, I imagine you’ll also bring a wide angle.

I think EVERYONE IS RIGHT. Imagine a 3D axis of space:

Axis 1: Focus on some aspect of the tour (like photography, the plant life, etc.) vs. Enjoy the Global Experience and Socialize.

Axis 2: Capturing Pictures Is Important vs. “I’ll take a few with my cellphone.”

Axis 3: I like the technical aspects of utilizing all the features of my camera” vs. “That’s a pain — put the darn thing on AUTO (— and my Auto works really great).

So if we use this model, EVERYONE IS RIGHT, because we all fall somewhere in it’s 3 dimensional space — and it’s wonderful just being where you are and lovin’ it.

Doug
  • Options
    And, actually, the trip is so long that you'll have time to do many things, and occupy many different points in the 3D model during your tour. Have a GREAT time!
  • Options
    douglassue wrote:
    And, actually, the trip is so long that you'll have time to do many things, and occupy many different points in the 3D model during your tour. Have a GREAT time!

I must admit, there have been times when I review and organize my photos after a trip, that I don't remember ever taking one or more of them! I have also discovered that more than one photo I've taken captured, in addition to the main subject, an object, person, detail, etc. that I missed at the time. But, having pictures allows me to relive the trip and appreciate the experience even more. That really happens when I research captions (for my wife's Facebook album which is one place I upload photos). Also, I'll often take a photo of something that seemed interesting at the time without knowing what it really was. After the trip, when I go through the photos and select ones to add captions to and upload, I often need to do some serious research using date/time stamp, locations, Google, etc. to find out what I photographed. It is a real serendipity when I discover I photographed an artistically or historically significant subject.
  • Options
    hi Doug .
    I have to say, I do like your 3D model , it is a great way to pursue your interest & enjoy the trip as you wish .. I just think everything has a balance and there is time for everyone to figure out in the first few days , what really is going to work better for them... Yes, I'm taking my super heavy wide angle... which, I was trying to evade, but it would be a crime to loose the opportunity , just because I got lazy...:))
    Thanks Doug.
  • Options
    Hello. One thing I would recommend to those who are going on a Safari and don't want to spend on a expensive lens or don't know which to buy... I would rent from Borrowlenses.com , they have great equipment , great prices and are reliable. I have rented from them several times, before I purchase any lens.- I try the 70-200 for 17 days on my morocco trip and it was incredible. I only paid $275.00 with insurance and delivery both ways.
    Just a thought...
  • Options
    Just a quick (final) note from me- i started this long discussion. After much thought and your much appreciated input, i finally was able to get a new (not international, and not gray-market) Canon 75-300 lens with UV filter and caps.
    I purchased this through Amazon, came from Abe's, shipped from Lexington KY, with original packaging I believe, for $90.

Barry
  • Options
    There are many options for lenses and cameras. Let me toss out my own recommendation - go buy a Panasonic Lumix FZ300 non-dslr camera for about $400. It has a 24-600 f/2.8 lens. This means that it can shoot wide angle shots if you are near to an animal and zoom in on distant animals. It also is good in low light environments so you can shoot indoors and in the evening and get good photos. I have been using one for several years and absolutely love it. I have a multi-thousand dollar DSLR with several very high quality lenses and I prefer using this camera when I travel. It is lighter to carry and there is no messing with changing lenses. Also it is water resistant and weather sealed so rain and dust are not a problem.

My wife and I will be on this trip in October - you will find this camera in our hands.

I have no connection with Panasonic, I just have found this to be the perfect travel camera for me.

-Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file