Options

Cameras

We will be on the Kenya Tanzania tour in August, and are shopping for a camera since we have been relying on our cell phones for the point and shoot approach for years.... easy and nothing big to carry. For this trip I would like to learn how to take good pictures with a good camera and lense, but will need something easily understood.
Any recommendations? Hopefully if I get started soon I will have it figured out before August.

Comments

• Options
    Hi LaurelLee,

I’ll try to respond to your question — but, for me, it’s fraught with dangers — I don’t know a whole lot about Point and Shoots, and they evolve all the time.

I’ve given away or sold some of my cameras to friends and relatives, but found the more complex cameras are too frustrating for them — they wish to do as little button and menu selections as possible.

So here’s some general suggestions:

Go to a local camera store so you can test-drive a few Point and Shoots. If you go to a more dedicated camera store, instead of a mall store, you’re more likely to get a better selection and more knowledgeable help.
    Try out several cameras, evaluating things like size and weight, ergonomics — how they feel, price-point, and, especially, how easy you find it to use, and how easy it is to use it’s menu system if you want to do more that put it on Automatic.
    I would suggest that you get a camera that has, not only a screen (possibly one that articulates), but a VIEWFINDER. In strong daylight it can be very frustrating trying to read a screen.
    The camera store should let you go outside and test each camera. Take a few pictures, say, of cars — as if they were elephants; of fire-hydrants — as if they were hyenas, etc. In other words, you want to test the zoom capabilities of the cameras — various sized objects at various distances.
    There may be other features that you may like, e.g. whether the camera communicates with your phone and saves the pictures to your phone. But the more important issue is whether or not the camera is easy for you, particularly, to use, so that you can just pick it up and snap away, anytime, without getting frustrated.

I believe there have been tremendous technological advances even at the Point and Shoot level. There will be limitations in resolution and telephoto capacity, but you probably aren’t going to make huge prints. You aren’t going to be able to get animals that are far, far away, but there will be plenty of animals that will come close to your safari vehicle.

You can also go home after visiting the camera store and do your research online, see what other folks liked or did not like about particular cameras.

Best,

Doug
  • Options
    Hi LaurelLee,
    Doug has given you excellent advice. I was in a similar situation prior to our K&T trip a few years ago. I have always used basic point and shoot cameras of various sizes and degrees...mention aperture , noise reduction and shutter speed, and my eyes start to cross a little! I did a lot of online research (mainly reviews of current trends and products). I knew I wanted a camera with a good zoom and one with a viewfinder as well as a decent sized screen. I also needed to be able to learn to utilize it within a two-month period. I narrowed it down to 3 cameras, at that time called the super-zooms...a Canon, Sony and Nikon. Ironically, Costco had a great deal on the Nikon, so I gave it a try. Although I like Canon cameras, I knew I could return it to Costco if I tried it and didn't like it. It turned our to be perfect for me (even had an articulating screen, a great feature as Doug mentions). I practiced by visiting our local zoos and also taking close-ups of the grandkids (in constant motion). That camera was the P520, but I would imagine they have replaced that model with a newer version and there are probably other brands and models as well now. I also found a lay-man's guide to the camera on Amazon which was a great help in taking advantage of the options the camera had to offer. I somehow find the guides/instructions that come with many electronics utterly useless.
    I found that while on a game drive, the viewfinder was needed as I seem to hold the camera steadier when using it. I also recommend taking back up batteries...I had 2 and needed both each day...Using the zoom took a lot of practice as I seemed to lose whatever it was I was zooming in on if I wasn't careful. That also helped run down the battery.
    Ironically, there were two others on our trip with the exact same camera and a third with a Leica that was similar, each of us in the same "amateur" status but wanting some great photos, which we all got.
    Joyce
  • Options
    Hi Joycesw and LaurelLee,

If I might contribute, Joycesw has some great tips and suggestions vis-a-vis her Point and Shoot experience.

Pressing the eye-piece or view finder lightly against your eye-socket, while holding the camera with both hands steadies the camera. Further, if you bring your elbows against your body comfortably, you make yourself a human tripod, further stabilizing the camera and reducing camera shake — so there’s a better chance of not blurring your photos.

That becomes more important as night approaches and you have low illumination, with your camera choosing a lower shutter speed.

Most folks probably have the same problems around camera stabilization with big, heavy DSLRs. Here, one needs to turn the left palm toward one’s face to cradle the lens barrel with the left hand, with these big cameras, and rest the left elbow against the chest, again creating a tripod with your body.

And, even better, lean against something to steady the entire body.

In the safari vehicles, there’s lots of places to use to stabilize yourself and the camera — the railing, the windows. I brought a sandbag to steady my camera but didn’t find it necessary.

Books even suggest that you trip the shutter on the Out breath — seems to create less movement. Sounds a little Zen-like. :). But I imagine some like the In breath, and some folks just hold their breath.

Guess it’s sort of like golf or sports, there’s a lot of little tricks of the trade and you can find what works for you.

Doug
  • Options

What great tips, Doug! I sort of figured out some of those (how to hold and steady the camera) while "on the job!" Holding the camera lens with my left hand as I zoomed out certainly helped steady it! One of my biggest problems was that I wear contact lens, right eye close up, left eye far...could only use one eye in the viewfinder, so that took some adjustments! I finally figured it out! The breathing part is a whole new thought for me...it certainly makes sense, and I will try it as I continue to use and love my camera.
    My "ah, ha" moment came in Amboseli when we saw a leopard (far off) coming down a tree trunk after his afternoon nap. I lifted my camera, put it on the farthest zoom, and snapped a shot. It was a perfect shot, completely centered, and with a bit of editing, I got the perfect light! In what universe does that ever happen?? Sometimes it is all about luck!!
    Joyce
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info. I think I’m ready to shop for a camera and get started. I’m sure I will have more questions after I get started ????
  • Options
    Laurel48 wrote:
    Thanks for all the info. I think I’m ready to shop for a camera and get started. I’m sure I will have more questions after I get started ????
    Whatever you get, take time to learn how to use it and paractice BEFORE you go.
  • Options
    Just had a flash since our return to K&T is only 89 days and 5 hours away. On ships they have chair hogs who tie up deck chairs with a book and a towel. On safaris some people .... nice people ... become photo hogs. Everyone wants a view of the animals, and folks with cameras don’t have prioity. You need to get your shot and get out of the way so other people can see the animals. Try not to hog the front row. (;-)
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Understand your point, Sealord, but we were so fortunate on our trip...Everyone was very generous and accommodating about sharing the photo ops...it seemed that once someone, in a great spot, took a photo he or she stepped aside to allow others to capture a great photo/view...we never felt that someone was taking root in a great spot. I hope that our group was the norm rather than the exception. And, by the way, those idiots (no other term) that place a towel and a book on a chair at 5 AM and appear at noon (at a resort...don't cruise much) drive me bonkers!! Hopefully, the photo hogs will not be on your
    upcoming trip!!
  • Options
    I hope there is not an equivalence between photo hogs and amateur photographers. I know that I and another amateur photographer went out of our way to be polite and not hog a position in the vehicle. Here are some thoughts about what happened on our trip:

People were great. The most common reaction was, “Doug, here’s a great shot, come over here and get this.” Or, people would ask what position in the vehicle I’d like. I usually said it didn’t matter much to me, but often took a position by the door because it was difficult to get in and out of the vehicle with all the equipment hanging around my neck.
    For those of you that have not been in a safari vehicle before, I thought all the positions were good. The back seat allows for a little easier stowing of equipment so it doesn’t get in the way of others, and allows a more panoramic view. The front, beside the driver, seemed a little difficult because it was harder to stand up and sort of crawl out of the top. But, it’s really more about your photographic skill and equipment, you need the telephoto range for some shots. I took a lot of shots out of the windows so I was more eye-to-eye with the animals, and could stabilize the camera using the window frame, so I didn’t stand at all. Then, oftentimes, other guest-friends would tell me to stand up and not miss a particular shot.
    I also let it be known that I’d share my best images with the folks on our tour, if they would not abuse the privilege and not distribute them. So, that probably generated some good will. But that was the point — we all had a lot of good mojo, good will together and I think it’s great when we all can work toward that end. Of course, you sometimes run into folks that are a bit inconsiderate, but you can usually find ways to work around them.

Have fun, enjoy the experience, camera or not.

Doug
  • Options
    douglassue wrote:
    I hope there is not an equivalence between photo hogs and amateur photographers. I know that I and another amateur photographer went out of our way to be polite and not hog a position in the vehicle. Here are some thoughts about what happened on our trip:

People were great. The most common reaction was, “Doug, here’s a great shot, come over here and get this.” Or, people would ask what position in the vehicle I’d like. I usually said it didn’t matter much to me, but often took a position by the door because it was difficult to get in and out of the vehicle with all the equipment hanging around my neck.
    For those of you that have not been in a safari vehicle before, I thought all the positions were good. The back seat allows for a little easier stowing of equipment so it doesn’t get in the way of others, and allows a more panoramic view. The front, beside the driver, seemed a little difficult because it was harder to stand up and sort of crawl out of the top. But, it’s really more about your photographic skill and equipment, you need the telephoto range for some shots. I took a lot of shots out of the windows so I was more eye-to-eye with the animals, and could stabilize the camera using the window frame, so I didn’t stand at all. Then, oftentimes, other guest-friends would tell me to stand up and not miss a particular shot.
    I also let it be known that I’d share my best images with the folks on our tour, if they would not abuse the privilege and not distribute them. So, that probably generated some good will. But that was the point — we all had a lot of good mojo, good will together and I think it’s great when we all can work toward that end. Of course, you sometimes run into folks that are a bit inconsiderate, but you can usually find ways to work around them.

Have fun, enjoy the experience, camera or not.

Doug

We have never had anyone hog positions. But we have had people moan about the uprights of the pop up top type of vehicle we had on our first tour to Africa, the K and T. This was our least favorite type of vehicle. We preferred the removable roof type on the remainder of the tour. The vehicles in Southern Africa are much different, higher, totally open and more challenging to climb into. And most importantly you cannot stand up to take photos at all. But mainly we have been lucky rarely having more than four people in a vehicle on the Tauck tours. I also want to give a huge thank you to all local safari guides and drivers who always ensure that every person in the vehicle gets a good view or the best angle, even making sure the radio antenna is not in the way of your perfect shot. These guys make up fifty percent of the enjoyment of a tour in our opinion.
    Although we always make a photo book, this year is the first time we have had a couple of our photos blown up on canvas, one of a giraffe drinking from a waterhole, and one of a group of zebras also at the same waterhole. My husband’s favorite shots. We have one in our bedroom and one in my newly themed study—- yep some people would say yuck to this, but I even recovered the fabric back of my desk chair in leopard print! My favorite photo, a baby desert elephant standing directly under her mother will have to wait for if I ever have another empty wall in a house.
  • Options
    milmil
    edited April 2018
    Good morning everyone.
    Happy Monday! Could not start my day @ the off. without checking my Fav. Blog. Lolol :)
    and after reading all the advises regarding cameras, I wonder if.. the lens I'm taking is way to much.
    This is my camera equipment:
    Nikon D5000 with a Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens . Also
    I wanted to take a wide angle, but after taking pictures with my Iphone 8 plus in Morocco , I have decided that the phone will be my go to for up close pictures. The Morocco pictures came out amazing.
    Any Advise?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Hi Mileg!

I think we chatted about owning a plethora of camera cases. LOL. We are nuts. Anyway, I don’t know anything about Nikons, but it sounds like you have a wonderful tele there. So don’t have any qualms about taking it and lugging it around — you should get some wonderful images.

If I may give a suggestion or at least tell you what I often do. If you look at my images, especially the one at the end of the sequence — the animals at dusk going one way and the safari vehicle going the other. Well, that was taken with about 4 shots.

I held the camera in portrait mode, overlapped the shots by 50%, then photo-stitched them together in LightRoom (or whatever program you like that offers that feature). That’s pretty cool, because it was done in low light.

Anyway, what I’m suggesting is that you can use your 80-400mm in a variety of ways, even as a wide-angle!

There are all kinds of folks on Safari taking pictures, and all kinds of equipment levels — but the thing is, use your camera to enhance your Tauck experience — or not. Some just find this camera stuff too much of a bother, they just enjoy the camaraderie, the food, and the amazing sights.

So I think it is very individual, around how much photo equipment to haul around. I choose to take about 25 pounds, LOL. It’s terrible to lug around, and you look weird. But if you think it might get you a few perfect shots — and maybe, like British, want to accent your home and furniture with your images, then go for it!

But you sound like your champing at the bit, so, yes, take that beautiful lens and have fun. And I think you’ll find, if it hasn’t already happened, that this hobby actually changes how you see.

Doug
  • Options
    Mileg, another thought from a crazy Tauck blogger, my only vice. People do take photos with cell phones while in the safari vehicles but I myself would not risk it because the vehicles jolt around, make sudden turns or suddenly reverse so you must have a firm hold on the phone because if you drop it while taking a photo you are unlikely to be allowed to retrieve it, so unless you are really good at standing up and balancing on a seat with a phone in your hand and hanging onto something to steady yourself with the other, if you are OK with that or have some kind of wristlet attachment for your phone....iPhone type phones don’t seem to have those these days. Then yes, your camera is the better choice.
    My camera got a beating in Namibia because of the sand on the dunes, it’s my husband’s old one, maybe I should gather up the advice here and buy a new one, there is always one more safari to go on, or volcanoes to see or grandchildren to photo. Lucky aren’t we all!
  • Options
    British wrote:
    Mileg, another thought from a crazy Tauck blogger, my only vice. People do take photos with cell phones while in the safari vehicles but I myself would not risk it because the vehicles jolt around, make sudden turns or suddenly reverse so you must have a firm hold on the phone because if you drop it while taking a photo you are unlikely to be allowed to retrieve it, so unless you are really good at standing up and balancing on a seat with a phone in your hand and hanging onto something to steady yourself with the other, if you are OK with that or have some kind of wristlet attachment for your phone....iPhone type phones don’t seem to have those these days. Then yes, your camera is the better choice.
    My camera got a beating in Namibia because of the sand on the dunes, it’s my husband’s old one, maybe I should gather up the advice here and buy a new one, there is always one more safari to go on, or volcanoes to see or grandchildren to photo. Lucky aren’t we all!

We had someone on our trip whose cell phone did go overboard. It landed in the dust and did not break. The driver went back and found it, but he did not allow anyone else out of the vehicle. We also had a man (Dr.) and his daughter who climbed out of the vehicle and onto the roof to get a better camera angle at a lion that was perhaps five yards off the road. The driver went berserk getting them back in the vehicle, and explained to them how little time it would have taken for that lion to take them off the roof if he were so inclined. Then there was the family from Canada that got pinned to the side of their tent by a rogue elephant that had entered the camp. He was blocking their path, and instead of waiting or going for professional help, they decided to walk around him. That was at the Eagle Island Lodge in Botswana. They actually ended up firing a couple warning shots get the elephant out of the camp. All were very nice people, but they did add a little excitement to the trip.
  • Options
    milmil
    edited April 2018
    Hello
    You guys are quick replaying..
    I'm taking the Nikon for sure and also the cell. The cell is mostly for the animals that are next to the jeep or when the Cheetah climbs on top the jeep . :)) I will take a selfie of that one :))
    I have used this 80-400 before and it is great and not has heavy as the 70-200.
    I just didn't want to go over the top carrying tons of lenses and the awful weight.

Douglassue , thanks for the tip, yes! I loved all your pictures.

Bristish you cracked me up with that quote " if you want to accent your home and furniture with your images, then go for it! ", hilarious .

Sealord , Yes! some people don't think about the chances they take.... I take risks but that was silly for them to climb on to the roof.

Thank you all.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Ha Mileg! Are you referencing this video when mentioning the cheetah jumping on the roof of the jeep in the Masai Mara??? Can't believe the guy with the cell phone stayed so calm! I chuckled about the "spraying" comment which was probably the least of their worries! Also, note the number of vehicles by the end of the video...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uwB6K5XvQg
  • Options
    Wow, just looked at that video. It illustrates the type of vehicle top I prefer where there are no pop up corner bars to block views, but also, it's a long time since we have seen cheetahs on any of our safaris! Plenty of close-up leopards. Our animal on the vehicle moment was when an elephant wrapped it's trunk round the roof horizontal bar of our vehicle, I was maybe two feet from his eye. Fortunately it was a young male desert elephant and our guide assured us he was not strong enough to push the vehicle over. The elephant spent a long time with us. It just shows you how different every minute of every Safari can be and why we never tire of the African landscapes and wildlife.
  • Options
    milmil
    edited April 2018
    Hello.
    Well.. let me give you guys an inside secret about the Cheetah situation... this is a pack of 5 Cheetahs well known by the safari drivers... they are always around the same area and the drivers... ohh, so happen to stop there... giving the Cheetah's the opportunity to jump on. ;)))
    Cheetahs are of course wild animals and anything can happen, but normally if you stay still the wont attack , plus these ones are used to the jeeps and people. Still scary situation and a great Thrill .
    Cheetah's fact, they have to hunt for their prey and they eat once a day, early in the morning.... So we're cool. :)))
    The best video is of this dude : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBDujYBZBew look at his eyes!!!!
    Precious moment. Love it.
  • Options
    Very interesting, Mileg...I love how these threads seem to wander a bit...from cameras to cheetahs! That is interesting info about the cheetahs. We did see a group of them mid-morning relaxing beside the road, and judging from the blood on their fur, they had just eaten. I was very happy that they were tuckered out and I was ( I thought) safely tucked into our vehicle! To be very frank, I would not have been too relaxed to have a cheetah jump into the truck and get so close that his cheetah breath fogged up my sunglasses! As you mention, they are still unpredictable wild animals. We had the experience of having a lion on the hunt actually brush the corner of our truck and look up at us as we were gawking at him. Fortunately, he saw something in the tall grass and moved on. It didn’t bother me at the time, but I had a different reaction when I reviewed my video.
  • Options
    Camera advice for the neophyte photo traveler:

For safari travelers who haven't photo experience, I always recommend a superzoom camera. Nikon, Canon, Sony and Panasonic of the major vendors all have excellent ones. I'm a fairly experienced photo enthusiast and carry a Nikon SLR with an 18-200 zoom and a Nikon p510 superzoom. I often use the superzoom more than the heavier camera. For safari the range from wide to superzoom of the upper level point and shoot covers the full range of photo opportunities on safari. The superzooms provide image quality to satisfy any nonenthusiast. They are lighter and more compact. On safari I carry a beanbag to stabilize the camera(whichever I'm using) or rest it on a pair of binoculars. A monopod can be used in those multipassenger open vehicles many guides use. I often set the camera to landscape mode which saves focusing time and allows faster image acquisition. The modern cameras also allow high definition video clips to be taken. You can use photosoftware to pull still images from videos. I have obtained publishable images in this manner of a walking leopard and other subjects. Whatever camera you choose, you should try and familiarize yourself with its operation before leaving on safari. Remember when photographing animals you want to have the EYES in the image of an animal. Use the zoom to get good closeup images. Because each company making cameras has different image programs in their cameras, its good to see photos from the camera you're considering to see if the images meet your tastes. I personally prefer Nikon images and have had and used Canon, Fuji, and Panasonic cameras also. Others prefer those vendors or others, all the cameras from the big vendors are good; personal preferences for various reasons are equally valid.
    You Tube has lots of free instructional videos and Nat Geo has several easy to understand photography courses. It is important to enjoy the experience of the safari and not get so involved in photography that you miss the wonderful experience. The camera should not get in the way of enjoying the trip.

clw

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file