Is the water safe?

What are the recommendations for drinking water, ice, etc. at the hotels and camps on this trip? I know to be careful in other places, just wondering about the places we'll be staying at.

Comments

• My husband and I were on this tour in September, 2016, and we drank only bottled water during the entire tour. Prior to the tour, we went to Kenya to visit two family members who were missionary doctors there at that time. They told us to be careful when taking a shower and be sure not to swallow any water or get it in our mouths. We always wet our toothbrush with bottled water, also. And there was always plenty of bottled water available for us, courtesy of Tauck.

This was truly "the trip of a lifetime" for us! I'm sure you will find it filled with amazing experiences!
  • My husband and I took this tour in Sept. 2017. We drank bottled water but did not have any issues with using tap water for showers, brushing teeth etc. in any of the places except Botswana. We were a bit more careful there. Neither of us had any health issues on the trip.
  • I’m pretty sure we were told not to use the water for teeth brushing but to be sure your tour director will tell you when you arrive. If you arrive early you should ask the hotel people.
  • Thanks for the responses - will stick with the bottled water and will ask our tour guides about ice in case I want to try a gin and tonic!
  • Thanks for the responses - will stick with the bottled water and will ask our tour guides about ice in case I want to try a gin and tonic!

We did this trip in 2016 and we also drank only bottled water. We did use the ice. And your idea of gin and tonic is a great one ... especially in Cape Town. They have very little water there right now.