Young Children on Tauck Bridges

We are on the August 4, 2012 cruise from Budapest to Regensberg and wondered if there will be any other families with young children on board. We have a son, age 5 1/2 and a daughter age 3. We would also love to hear about any past travels on Tauck with young children so we know what to expect.

Thanks!

Comments

• We are traveling on the cruise with my husband's extended family and two children, a son, 8, and a daughter, 5. My nieces will also be traveling with us, but they are slightly older at (almost) 13 & 11. Where are you traveling from?
  • Thank you for your reply! We are traveling from Overland Park, Kansas, USA. How about your family? Miles (5 1/2) and Lucy (3 1/2) will be so excited to meet other kids on board!
  • Looking forward to the trip, we are a little older, twin girls 16 and son who is 13. We will be with my mom and looking forward to the trip. Hoping there are some other teenagers traveling.
  • We are traveling from Ridgewood, NJ. We are traveling with my husband's father and step-mother, brother, and sister and brother-in-law with their two girls, who are (almost) 13 & 11.
  • Hello Everyone,

As of this posting there are:

- 10 kids between the ages 10 and under
    - 20 kids between the ages of 11-15
    - 10 kids ages 15 and up

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Thanks Emily. What's the age breakdown for the July 7th cruise. I'll be traveling with a 12 year old boy and it would be nice if there were other kids his age on that particular cruise.
  • RMCfromAZ wrote:
    Thanks Emily. What's the age breakdown for the July 7th cruise. I'll be traveling with a 12 year old boy and it would be nice if there were other kids his age on that particular cruise.

Hello RMCfromAZ,

He will have no problems finding other kids his age.

- 25 kids between the ages of 11-15
    - 5 kids ages 15 and up

Please note that this may change at any point due to guest cancellations.

Have a great time!

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • We have 3 of the kids on the July 7th cruise. Sarah 14, Conrad 14 and Ryan 16. Great kids and willing to pick up a couple evening baby sitting jobs for some extra spending cash. Ryan and Sarah are Red Cross certified.
  • Hello RMCfromAZ,

- 5 kids ages 15 and up

Have a great time!

Hope this helps,
    Emily

Hi Emily, We are on the June 23rd Danube Bridges tour. It is coming fast an d wondering if you could provide a "kids report" on the ages and numbers of kids on this trip? Our daughter is 11 and hope there will be another couple of kids in her age bracket. Thanks for your help and we were so impressed with Taucks' professionalism that we went ahead and booked another trip for 2013.
  • Hi Emily, We are on the June 23rd Danube Bridges tour. It is coming fast an d wondering if you could provide a "kids report" on the ages and numbers of kids on this trip? Our daughter is 11 and hope there will be another couple of kids in her age bracket. Thanks for your help and we were so impressed with Taucks' professionalism that we went ahead and booked another trip for 2013.

Hi grand isle joe,

Your daughter will be in good company.

15 Boys and 23 Girls on this tour

- 11 kids between the ages 10 and under
    - 21 kids between the ages of 11-15
    - 6 kids ages 16 and up

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our professionalism. We aim to please.

Have a great time!

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Thank you Emily. Our daughter is thrilled to make new friends and let Mom and Dad "relax a bit"(her words). She is a wonderful traveler and still keeps in contact with some of her fellow travelers on our past trips. Well let me get back to packing and Thanks again.
  • Hi Deonne70, we are from Wyckoff.....
    Looking forward to the August 4th trip. The teenagers are liking the age breakdown.
  • We are on the Aug. 4 Blue Danube trip. Our daughter just turned 16. Thrilled to hear there will be other teenagers on the trip. We are from Michigan and would love to hear from you if you have teenagers going on the trip!
  • Caroline and Lindsay turn 16 next Thursday. Sounds like fun...
  • We just got off the 6/29 riverboat cruise with our 5-year-old and I must say, he was treated like royalty. (He was the youngest onboard, the next youngest was 7.) My only advice would be to know your limits and opt out of things you know will take the kids over the edge. We did not do some of the later-night activities onboard (karaoke, games) as we know he would have gotten too wound up. In some towns my husband or I did the tour or hike and the other stayed back with him. That being said, the range of activities is great. He loved the Medieval Games, the fountains in Salzburg, the Prater amusement park in Vienna, hanging out on the sun deck and playing mini-golf or flying kites with the big kids (who were all very nice to him), and when we had free time in cities and found a little park where he could just swing for awhile. The tours through the historic sites are fast-paced. We did find we needed a stroller (bought one in Bratislava) as we walked fast at times and we couldn't carry him. You can usually store the stroller in the luggage bay on the buses, but it's a good idea to check with the directors as to whether strollers are allowed in certain sites, as if not you'll have to find a place to leave it. Have fun!
  • We recently completed the Danube Family Riverboat cruise and had a terrific time. Our second Tauck tour. One of the drawbacks of this trip was the behavior of both the younger and older kids on the trip save for a few. We traveled with our 16yr old son who is fairly easy going. He could not bring himself to get acquainted with the kids on this trip save for one young lady his age.

The kids on this trip were completely obnoxious and out of control. Running all over the ship while the parents were off doing who knows what. That goes for the younger 9 -10 yr olds all the way up to the 17-18 yr olds. All acted like it was a free for all. Screaming uncontrollably as if they were outdoors the entire time. It took some of the fun away for all of us because you didn't want to be around the chaos. Tauck guides are not baby sitters which is clearly stated in their information packets yet at times our guides did just that. If the parents didn't want to participate in a hike the kids were off with the guides - which then takes from everyone else's experience because the guides were worried about where the kids were.

One of the parents actually was aghast at the fact that there were no children's or teen clubs on the ship...I politely reminded her that this was not Carnival Cruises.

I urge you to please consider the other people on the trip when you book your vacation. If Tauck states the recommended age is 10yrs and older it's for a reason. These are fun, yet educational tours. If my son were 7 or 8 yrs old on this trip he would have been bored.

There are no kid's or teen clubs with Tauck. For the money we paid we were a bit more than annoyed.
  • edited September 2014
    After reading this resurrected thread from 2012 I must say that I am shocked that parents would take such young children on these kind of tours. I had no idea that Tauck would allow it. It certainly dissuades me from taking a tour like this when my grandchildren are of an appropriate age. I guess some people just have more money than sense or responsibility
  • British wrote:
    After reading this resurrected thread from 2012 I must say that I am shocked that parents would take such young children on these kind of tours. I had no idea that Tauck would allow it. It certainly dissuades me from taking a tour like this when my grandchildren are of an appropriate age. I guess some people just have more money than sense or responsibility

I certainly find the prior two postings quite obnoxious.

It is obvious from the previous posting that teenagers were as much out of control as the younger ones. So I don't see any logic in the "advice" for parents about the 10+ years age. A posting from a prior traveler where the teens are willing to babysit seems like a completely different experience. So, obviously there is a difference in each kids personality. While I am certainly not encouraging unruly behaviour from kid of ANY age , cruising is not for those who have very little tolerance to fellow passengers considering you are in close proximity for several days. In this case I would expect the behavior to be reported and behavior expectation set instead of just complaining about it in the forum. Even if there is no babysitting, there should be ground rules on behavior - for example, no running on the ship.

This is a family cruise and it looks like Tauck took the effort to makes the experience of guests of all ages enjoyable. I am impressed that the guides were looking out for the kids even if parents were not there. If this is an "inconvenience" for others, they should be looking into an adult cruise where there are no kids.

If anything, obnoxious and snobbish adult travelers are as much if not more annoying. So, I don't understand there is targeted advice for parents when this is in fact a family cruise and by definition includes kids of different ages, personalities and preferences.
  • Thank you for your response pink shoes. I have never taken a Tauck River cruise, but the previous enlightenment persuades me that this type of tour is not for for me. I was not being obnoxious, just stating my take on facts presented to me. I do sincerely hope you enjoy your tour and post a review on the forum to encourage others that your experiences are different.
  • pinkshoes wrote:
    I certainly find the prior two postings quite obnoxious.

It is obvious from the previous posting that teenagers were as much out of control as the younger ones. So I don't see any logic in the "advice" for parents about the 10+ years age. A posting from a prior traveler where the teens are willing to babysit seems like a completely different experience. So, obviously there is a difference in each kids personality. While I am certainly not encouraging unruly behaviour from kid of ANY age , cruising is not for those who have very little tolerance to fellow passengers considering you are in close proximity for several days. In this case I would expect the behavior to be reported and behavior expectation set instead of just complaining about it in the forum. Even if there is no babysitting, there should be ground rules on behavior - for example, no running on the ship.

This is a family cruise and it looks like Tauck took the effort to makes the experience of guests of all ages enjoyable. I am impressed that the guides were looking out for the kids even if parents were not there. If this is an "inconvenience" for others, they should be looking into an adult cruise where there are no kids.

If anything, obnoxious and snobbish adult travelers are as much if not more annoying. So, I don't understand there is targeted advice for parents when this is in fact a family cruise and by definition includes kids of different ages, personalities and preferences.

I personally find your posting obnoxious and lacking in understanding of children and behavior of children and parents. Both post were aimed at the parents, not the children- kids will be kids. This is not a Disney or Carnival Cruise, Disney World, or a Club Med- been there done that- where you can turn your children loose or over to a "kid's club" director or baby sitter and not have to worry about their behavior or safety. There are no beaches, pools, water slides, video game rooms, basketball courts, etc. etc.

These cruises are designed to allow families to bond and experience the world together. It is not an opportunity for parents to hit the bar or take an excursion to avoid their children or the responsibilities of parenthood. Children, especially young ones have a lot of excess energy, which they must burn off, and short attention spans so they are easily bored. These are today's kids. The vast majority are more interested in cell phone and other electronic games and texting than they are looking at the passing scenery during a family car trip. Unless an adult, NOT the cruise director nor the tour guides, is there to help channel their energy and maintain some degree of control, some children can become problems. Throw in one or two instigators and a group of normally moderately active children can rapidly become unruly or obnoxious. My children and now my grand children were and are all great, well-behaved kids- but I would not consider taking them on a Tauck river cruise until they are older than 10 and preferably 15. Up to that point they have had little or no exposure to European history and would be too easily bored with "all that history and culture stuff." Tauck offers a number of kid-focused activities, but most, if not all are intended to involve their parents. Frankly, it floors me that Tauck would permit and parents let any child under 12-15 go on an excursion without a parent. I would never let my children engage in any activity without me, without the assurance that another adult has accepted full responsibility for their behavior and safety.
  • edited January 2015
    AlanS wrote:
    I personally find your posting obnoxious and lacking in understanding of children and behavior of children and parents. Both post were aimed at the parents, not the children- kids will be kids. This is not a Disney or Carnival Cruise, Disney World, or a Club Med- been there done that- where you can turn your children loose or over to a "kid's club" director or baby sitter and not have to worry about their behavior or safety. There are no beaches, pools, water slides, video game rooms, basketball courts, etc. etc.

These cruises are designed to allow families to bond and experience the world together. It is not an opportunity for parents to hit the bar or take an excursion to avoid their children or the responsibilities of parenthood. Children, especially young ones have a lot of excess energy, which they must burn off, and short attention spans so they are easily bored. These are today's kids. The vast majority are more interested in cell phone and other electronic games and texting than they are looking at the passing scenery during a family car trip. Unless an adult, NOT the cruise director nor the tour guides, is there to help channel their energy and maintain some degree of control, some children can become problems. Throw in one or two instigators and a group of normally moderately active children can rapidly become unruly or obnoxious. My children and now my grand children were and are all great, well-behaved kids- but I would not consider taking them on a Tauck river cruise until they are older than 10 and preferably 15. Up to that point they have had little or no exposure to European history and would be too easily bored with "all that history and culture stuff." Tauck offers a number of kid-focused activities, but most, if not all are intended to involve their parents. Frankly, it floors me that Tauck would permit and parents let any child under 12-15 go on an excursion without a parent. I would never let my children engage in any activity without me, without the assurance that another adult has accepted full responsibility for their behavior and safety.

Thanks Alan for your very elaborate email - but you are missing the point of my message. My point is the level of "judgement" that prior postings hold against parents is a rant and is not constructive. This is not a parenting advice forum. Nobody here is wants to know your personal preference of whether you want to go on the cruise or not and parenting philosophy - it is irrelevant to the forum. We only want to hear about the travel experience of THOSE WHO HAVE TRAVELED ON THIS CRUISE and tips from them so we know what to expect.

• edited January 2015
    pinkshoes/pinkshoes01 does has firm opinions. As do I. I prefer to interact with people, here on the forums, who can play nicely. I don't see much majesty in your use of pluralis majestatis. And yelling, in polite company, is an apt illustration of Alan's point.
  • Hello RMCfromAZ,

- 5 kids ages 15 and up

Have a great time!

Hope this helps,
    Emily

I was on this tour. The children, regardless of age, were all well behaved. The parents were responsible and I never saw any of them allow their children run wild during the excursion. Tauck Bridges allows children as young as 3 on the family river cruises. For anyone who prefers not to be around children, the non-Bridges Tauck cruises are probably a better choice. Tauck also allows children as young as 5 on those cruises, although I imagine there are very few children, if any, on these cruises. For anyone who doesn't want to be around young children, Viking is a better choice. I believe their minimum age is 12 and they also limit the number of children they allow on each cruise. They so obviously discourage children on their cruises, I don't know why anyone with kids would ever book with them.
  • jdurkin wrote:
    pinkshoes/pinkshoes01 does has firm opinions. As do I. I prefer to interact with people, here on the forums, who can play nicely. I don't see much majesty in your use of pluralis majestatis. And yelling, in polite company, is an apt illustration of Alan's point.

Again none of the comments are relevant to the topic or the purpose of the discussion here. If you have any constructive feedback to post please do so.
  • ah609 wrote:
    I was on this tour. The children, regardless of age, were all well behaved. The parents were responsible and I never saw any of them allow their children run wild during the excursion. Tauck Bridges allows children as young as 3 on the family river cruises. For anyone who prefers not to be around children, the non-Bridges Tauck cruises are probably a better choice. Tauck also allows children as young as 5 on those cruises, although I imagine there are very few children, if any, on these cruises. For anyone who doesn't want to be around young children, Viking is a better choice. I believe their minimum age is 12 and they also limit the number of children they allow on each cruise. They so obviously discourage children on their cruises, I don't know why anyone with kids would ever book with them.

Thanks for this input - this is very useful to know.
  • pinkshoes wrote:
    Again none of the comments are relevant to the topic or the purpose of the discussion here. If you have any constructive feedback to post please do so.

Ah, what I like to see is intelligent conversation. It is refreshing when adults, well-informed and catholic in their perspective, can discuss things politely and calmly. And to do it in a forum like this, where people are willing to hear a variety of views. And to be pleasant to each other and possibly even to learn new things. To be constructive. To share experiences and to help each other, all the while being nice.

What's that thing about free speech that is so current at the moment? Hmm.... let me think.
  • Chill people. This is getting seriously ugly on both sides.

pinkshoes, I'm sorry but if you think this forum is only going to have comments that "are relevant to the topic or the purpose of the discussion" then you are destined to be disappointed.
  • pinkshoes wrote:

Not relevant? To whom? To you or someone with an open mind. I suggest you go back and read the entire thread. You will see posts by travelers asking and talking about the demographics (gender, age and number) of children they plan to bring. You'll see posts by travelers who previously traveled on bridges tours with their children and had, what they considered, good experiences and those who didn't. That along with demographic info, is EXACTLY what the original poster and others were asking and how this forum works. Both reports were personal experiences- that my friend is "opinion"- just like "your opinion" that two posts were "obnoxious." The problem is, just because you personally choose not believe someone's account, don't agree with it, or don't think it is relevant, doesn't give you the right to start throwing insults- by association, since you said the posts were obnoxious, you apply that label to posters. It is not the best approach for a person to take on their very first Tauck forum thread. Someone else on the same tour might have a different take, that doesn't make them wrong. But hearing each side gives everyone a much better range of expectations, so they can make their own, informed decisions. It is also what makes this forum so useful.

This site is a combination of fact and opinion- specifics of a tour, lodging, times, etc. etc. are facts. Almost anything else- what is good, what is bad, what should be avoided, what activity a traveler should do in place of another, how many days early a traveler should arrive and what to do and see before the start of the tour, are just recommendations and opinions. All are good data points, however.
  • edited January 2015
    there is definitely lot of valuable contribution by families who travelled on the cruise & good data points. It has digressed into random rambling about parenting advice & free speech & everything else on the mind from those who have not been on this cruise or don't imtend to take this cruise which is unproductive & a waste of time for those looking for tips & recommendations. I'm checked out.
  • Chill people. This is getting seriously ugly on both sides.

pinkshoes, I'm sorry but if you think this forum is only going to have comments that "are relevant to the topic or the purpose of the discussion" then you are destined to be disappointed.

Thanks - I agree with you. I was expecting to get real travel advice & tips similar to Rick steves & how some of the initial responses were. but not anymore
This discussion has been closed.