Options

Dohany Street Synagogue

Hello,
We are traveling Westbound Budapest to Prague departing April 19.. One option in Budapest is the Dohany Street Synagogue. Is this just a quick drop in? I can't seem to find out the length of the tour and welcome anyone's comments who has visited the Synagogue.
May thanks,
jane

Comments

• Options
    When we did this trip 2 years ago, we had some free time in Budapest. We did not do the Jewish heritage tour, but we did go to the synagogue on our own. Be sure to see the very touching memorial garden outside the building and the lovely tree of life sculpture just outside the gates of the garden. I would call Tauck and ask for details about the tour. Then check the day/date to see if services are going on that could close the synagogue to tourists.
    We really enjoyed this trip, our first riverboat excursion. We have another coming up in April for Belgium and Holland in the Spring.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I was there as part of the Central Europe land tour. I second what Dixie said. Also, there's a museum attached to the synagogue that has some interesting and very old artifacts. Up the stairs on the left, front corner.
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your suggestions.
    jane
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Calvados wrote:
    Hello,
    We are traveling Westbound Budapest to Prague departing April 19.. One option in Budapest is the Dohany Street Synagogue. Is this just a quick drop in? I can't seem to find out the length of the tour and welcome anyone's comments who has visited the Synagogue.
    May thanks,
    jane

Tauck "Guided visits" are usually led by a local guide (expert) and extremely well done. The Dohany Street Synagogue is a short 9 min. (700m) walk from the your hotel (Kempinski Hotel Corvinus Budapest) so it will be easy to go back and visit on your own during your free afternoon if the "guided visit" that morning doesn't meet your needs, you want to see more, or you selected one of the other options ("themed walking tour that focuses on the Hungarian Revolution and includes the Parliament building, the Embassy and St. Stephen’s Basilica" or the "guided bicycle tour".)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file