Options

Electrical Adapters

We are going to K&T in July 2018 and were wondering if a special adapter (like Australia requires) is necessary for phones and IPAD use. Is there a different electrical current that we have to accommodate?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2018
    We are going to K&T in July 2018 and were wondering if a special adapter (like Australia requires) is necessary for phones and IPAD use. Is there a different electrical current that we have to accommodate?

There are plenty of posts in the forum archives about this, plus an explanation of different voltages. Short answer- power supplies and chargers for most modern electronic devices (tablets, phones, camera battery chargers, shavers, etc.) will work on both US 110 volts and rest of the world 220 volts- look at the small print on the device. You will need an adapter so you can insert your US two prong plug into a Kenyan/Tanzanian outlet (type D or G adapter). Posts in the archives also talk about getting a small travel multi-outlet power strip so you only need one adapter.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Alan. I'm still a little confused about the adapters. Online it looks like type D and type G are different. I also found that Tanzania seems to use Type D and Kenya uses Type G. Do you know of one adapter that works in both countries? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    MarcCohen wrote:
    Thanks for the info Alan. I'm still a little confused about the adapters. Online it looks like type D and type G are different. I also found that Tanzania seems to use Type D and Kenya uses Type G. Do you know of one adapter that works in both countries? Thanks in advance.

Here is more info than you probably care to know : )

The reasons two (or more) adapters are often listed for the same country is that many (most?) residences, hotels, etc. outside the US have two sets of outlets- low current ones for smaller appliances and high current ones for larger devices. Also, some outlets have a space for a grounding pin. All supply 220 volts so for all intents and purposes you can use either one with the correct adapter for the power supply or charger for your phone, camera, laptop, etc. (all dual voltage, low current, non-grounded, devices)

To some extent it is actually the same in the US, you just didn't notice or don't have any 20 amp outlets. There are different 110 volt outlets in the US- on first glance they look the same but the 20 amp outlet will have a horizontal extension on one vertical slot. Most household outlets are rated for 110 volts / 15 amps, however some special ones where you might use appliances that draw more current (possibly in your garage) are rated for 110 volts / 20 amps. You can plug a 15 amp appliance into both 15 amp and 20 amp outlets, not the reverse (dedicated 20 amp appliances have special plugs.) And, of course, if you look in your laundry room you might have a totally different, special 220 volt / 20 amp outlet for an electric clothes dryer.

US 110 volt/15 amp outlet:
    white-leviton-outlets-receptacles-r52-05320-00w-64_145.jpg

US 110 volt/20 amp outlet:
    white-leviton-outlets-receptacles-r62-cbr20-00w-64_145.jpg
  • Options
    That's interesting, but I think I am still missing something. It appears on multiple online sites that Kenya uses type G and Tanzania uses type D. One has round prongs and one has rectangular prongs.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    MarcCohen wrote:
    That's interesting, but I think I am still missing something. It appears on multiple online sites that Kenya uses type G and Tanzania uses type D. One has round prongs and one has rectangular prongs.

From what I experienced and have read, you will indeed see Type G in Kenya and Type D in Tanzania, but you may also see type G in Tanzania. There may also be multi-configuration outlets in places like the Four Seasons and other places as they are upgraded. Regardless, you should take Type D & G adapters. Take a multi-outlet travel power strip (with or without USB ports) like the Monster so you can charge all your devices at once at one outlet using one adapter:

secureimage.php?path=pi_m&part=728520&size=l

61XuS33q0RL._AC_UL115_.jpg

• Options
    Alan is correct, you can see different types of outlets in one room or one country, it’s Africa after all and has several types of plug that used to be seen in England when I was a child.
  • Options
    Thanks for your help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file