Options

Bike along the Danube

Has anyone done the afternoon bike ride along the Danube between Engelhartszell and Aschach on the East-bound Blue Danube?

It is about 26 mi. long, but I think mostly on a level, hard surface asphalt bike path. With rest and photo op stops it supposedly takes 4 hours but Tauck allots 5 hrs. I ain’t no spring chicken and not a member of the Spandex biking crowd, but am in fairly decent shape. I plan to do about a month and a half of bike training beforehand. I just wanted to know if any other non-Tour de France recreational bikers have done it and what you thought about the difficulty and enjoyment factors.

The other option is to stay onboard for a lecture while the boat steams to Aschach.

Comments

• Options
    AlanS wrote:
    Has anyone done the afternoon bike ride along the Danube between Engelhartszell and Aschach on the East-bound Blue Danube?

It is about 26 mi. long, but I think mostly on a level, hard surface asphalt bike path. With rest and photo op stops it supposedly takes 4 hours but Tauck allots 5 hrs. I ain’t no spring chicken and not a member of the Spandex biking crowd, but am in fairly decent shape. I plan to do about a month and a half of bike training beforehand. I just wanted to know if any other non-Tour de France recreational bikers have done it and what you thought about the difficulty and enjoyment factors.

The other option is to stay onboard for a lecture while the boat steams to Aschach.
  • Options
    DonnaZ wrote:
    Have there been any responses to your inquiry about the 26 mile bike ride? I’m interested as well.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    DonnaZ wrote:
    Have there been any responses to your inquiry about the 26 mile bike ride? I’m interested as well.

Nothing yet. I'm in training : ) and if I don't feel up to it, I'll just cancel. Of course the way the weather has been- temps in the teens and single digits, I may want to spend as much time indoors as possible.
  • Options
    Thinking the same thing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file