Options

Area Forums index gone again!

It appears the Area forum index section on the Travel Forums Home page is missing again (1/21/2018).

Also, though it shows I am signed in, I have needed to log out and log back in in order to post to a thread. The new website can't come soon enough!

Also, our upcoming Blue Danube trip (4/12/2018) is still not available on the new app.

Comments

• Options
    Seems to disappear every weekend.

As long as we're complaining, I sent Tauck an email a week ago with some questions about a trip. Got the canned auto-response quickly, but haven't heard from a person yet with answers.
  • Options
    My guess is that there is no IT coverage on weekends and holidays. That's when the spammers usually kick in and when the Forum goes south, it waits until the next work weekday to get fixed.
  • Options
    seems the gremlins are at it again this weekend.
  • Options
    Come on IT guys, it's been several days this time, and it's not even a weekend.
  • Options
    It will be a common occurrence until their new database is up and running. I suspect they are on overload with porting all the trip details into the new app, and keeping this archaic system operational. No excuse for not fixing it when it goes south.
  • Options
    It isn't the same "dependable" company since they moved into their new location. I'm really sorry to say that. Why should they care because their tours sell out so fast? Yet, I will say I have had good luck on the phone talking to reps and only "crab" who I reported. I have 9 booked trips between now and 2020 and in Dec 2018 added one in February 2018 (just got back). Another time, a had a very nice agent and when I asked for the "gift of time" free day, she said, "sorry, that promotion was over". I guess being a good customer doesn't mean to Mr. Tauck as it did when he had his own buses pre-war? I was going to cancel ALL of my tauck tours I have lined up but decided to look at other tour companies. The few "good ones" that were recommended had "deals" and high phone pressure. I didn't like that. Also, when you read the "real reviews", some of the issues I have with Tauck are minor compared to other tour companies. SO, I kept my mouth shut over this "gift of time" refusal. However, Mr. Tauck should be aware that as soon as I find another tour company I like better, you will have lost me even if it costs me some money. This is all over an agent who saw I had 9 tours booked, thank me for being a good customer but refused the to give me a free day because the booking was past Sept. 2017 for a Feb. 2018 trip. She didn't even offer to ask her supervisor if an exception could be made. I tell that story on all my Tauck Tours and people just shake their head in disbelief but the day is coming when Tauck won't be number one and I'll be waving from another tour company.
  • Options
    @Bob-In-FL. I think it was rather lame that your Gift of Time didn’t get bumped up a level to see if an exception to policy could be considered. Last year we were in CT and toured their new facility. It was a nice location in a wooded area and the workplace was bright and pleasant. What impressed us most were the many employees we got to meet and speak with. They took great pride in being part of the “Tauck Experience” as we have seen during our five trips, with three more trips booked. I am trying to be patient as we await an improved website and new approach with the Forum. It is a wonderful tool to communicate with fellow travelers and “goes south” way too often.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Bob_In_FL wrote:
    but the day is coming when Tauck won't be number one and I'll be waving from another tour company.

Good luck with that.

I may be totally off base here, but since you praise Tauck one minute and disparage them the next for a policy that is clearly stated and you were initially willing but decided not to cancel numerous booked tours, etc. etc. you sound very conflicted and may have coping, anger or other issues for which you should consider seeking professional help. As to offering you a "Gift of Time" when you clearly missed the published cut-off date, when do you think it is appropriate for Tauck to waive their policy- for those people with 1, 5, 9, 15, etc. completed Tauck tours or some number of future booked tours? Once Tauck or any company starts deviating from published policy, they open themselves to criticism for doing so- "I missed the cut-off date, but I have 8 (or 7 or 6, etc.) booked tours, I think I should "be entitled" to a "Gift of Time."

While the "Gift of Time" is a benefit for prior travelers, I can almost guarantee, the purpose is other than to "reward" them. There may be other reasons as well, but I suspect the main one is to encourage early booking which you did not do in this instance. You can ask, they can deny or grant- in either case, it is what it is, so move on.

Another after-thought- the amount you would have saved on one "Gift of Time" (approx $400?) is literally budget dust if you actually have 9 tours booked between now and 2020 as you claim.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    The gift of time is also ‘Subject to Availability’ Several years ago we were refused the gift of time for one of our trips even though we booked before the cut-off date. Mr B was annoyed when we got on the trip and others had been given it. We never got to the bottom of it and we soon forgot. The one time we were unhappy about an hotel issue, Mr B wrote a nice letter to Tauck, pointing it out, not expecting even a reply. We received some money back!
    We recently took our first non Tauck tour, never again!
    Where am I right now? Just got into my hotel bed at the start of my next Tauck trip. Yes, jet lag, even with a fabulous Business class flight.
  • Options
    I don't see the AREA FORUMS either and it's Tues 3/6. Would love to post something about my upcoming Hawaii trip, but WHERE????