New Zealand Glow Worm Caves

We heard Tauck will made touring a glow worm cave in New Zealand an optional activity a few years back. Does anyone know if they still do that and where? We have heard they are fantastic to see and really would like to see one.

Comments

• I went on this trip last March and the glow worm trip was one of the hidden beauties to behold. It is quite simple, but so unusual and peaceful. The cruise on the water to get there was also beautiful and coming back it was sunset. Beautiful. Make sure you don't forget to make a stop at the gelato place there.
  • Travelingirl - Thanks for responding. Do you remember what city you were in when you did this? This was something Tauck offered as an add-on, correct? Gelato! I'm on it. Is it in the city where you were staying or somewhere near the caves?
  • CatLover8 wrote:
    We heard Tauck will made touring a glow worm cave in New Zealand an optional activity a few years back. Does anyone know if they still do that and where? We have heard they are fantastic to see and really would like to see one.
    I thought they were a day trip from Auckland and I didn’t see anything in the green book about visiting them. We’ve been looking at booking it on our own combined with a tour of Hobbiton. They seem to be paired up for the tours.
    If they are part of the Tauck itinerary, even as an add on, I’d love to know too. It would save a bit of money and trouble, wouldn’t it? ????
    Melanie
  • I think they offered an optional glow worm trip,one of our evenings in Te Anau. Not many people went. We chose,to stay an extra night in Auckland and took a day trip to see the Spellbound Glowworm caves in Waitomo. It was well worth it, a fascinating and beautiful experience.
  • I have heard that the Waitomo caves are spectacular, but we will not have time to see them as we are doing Hobbiton on our departure day. So I will definitely sign up for the TeAnau cave tour (which is also well rated) assuming they continue to offer that option. Thank you!
  • Catlover8 - I couldn’t find any tours that just did either Hobbiton or the glow worm caves out of Auckland. I could only find ones that did both. Could you tell me which tour company you’re using? I’m the opposite of you in that we’d rather see the caves and not Hobbiton. :-)

Susany - thank you for the information about the Te Anau caves. I didn’t know about them.
  • Rmm6- We used "Bush and Beach" to book our tour out of Auckland.
  • CatLover8 - thank you very much. I’ll check them out.
  • We did this trip 2 years ago and it was spectacular. Yes, the glow worm caves are in Teanu. Tauck does not include the tour, but you should arrive in Te Anu early enough to take the dusk or evening tour or you can go the next night. The booking office is a short walk from your hotel. Definitely do this.
  • shescha wrote:
    We did this trip 2 years ago and it was spectacular. Yes, the glow worm caves are in Teanu. Tauck does not include the tour, but you should arrive in Te Anu early enough to take the dusk or evening tour or you can go the next night. The booking office is a short walk from your hotel. Definitely do this.

Our guide took the names of people that wanted to go the glow worm cave in Te Anu on evening of the Milford Sound cruise day and made the arrangements. The people that did it said that it was nice, but we planned to go to the Waitomo Caves along with Hobbiton on an independent day after the tour ended. To do both in one day was a 12 hour day from Auckland. The glow worms in Waitomo were interesting, but in retrospect, I wish we had done them in Te Anu despite being smaller cave. The Hobbiton Tour was plenty for one day when you add 2.5 hours of travel each way. 12 hours was too long, in my opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file