which electricity converter for Australia?

I've been looking into power converters for our trip, but am getting conflicting answers. Can someone tell me which type of converter(s) is/are used in Australia and New Zealand? I've see both type I and C listed. Thanks.

Comments

• edited November 2017
    If you are charging devices like iPhones, and camera batteries that have charger INPUT of 100-250 volts and 50-60Hz, then all you need are a few adapters. The ungrounded one has two prongs at an angle and the grounded ones have the same two angled prongs and a vertical prong. Search online and easy to find what you need. We used IEC Type I.They are relatively inexpensive so we generally take 4 as we've been known to leave one behind. Happy travels down under. Fabulous trip.
  • edited November 2017
    kidfixer wrote:
    I've been looking into power converters for our trip, but am getting conflicting answers. Can someone tell me which type of converter(s) is/are used in Australia and New Zealand? I've see both type I and C listed. Thanks.

First, lets get the terminology straight- a converter changes one voltage to another. AUS/NZ outlets supply 220 volts while US devices typically use 110 volts. However, most modern devices (laptops, tablets, cell phones and their power modules) are dual voltage; they will work with either 220 volts or 110 volts. So, you shouldn't need a "converter."

What you will need in some places is a plug "adapter" which allows you to use a device with a US style plug with two parallel blades, in an AUS/NZ outlet which has two angled slots (and possibly a third slot for a ground.) All you should need is a Type I adapter.

You might also want to pick up a mult-outlet travel power strip so you can charge multiple devices at the same time. Some even have USB charging ports.

Australian side (L & R) US side (C):
    41Wv247WOVL._AC_US218_.jpg

41qPweKjCgL._AC_US218_.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file