Options

Another photography question

First of all, off topic: We are going next August 9 and indeed have purchased tickets business class Dulles round trip for ~$6800 for 2 business class. Thanks again to all those who helped me out in the long Q&A below.

Now....
I am not really a photography camera person. However, I do have a Canon EOS Rebel with 75x200 as the longer lens. I have been debating whether to do one of 3 things:
1. Take the camera as is.
2. Buy a longer telephoto lens
3. Do neither but use an IPad.

Does anyone have thoughts? We usually don't make photo books but this is really a different circumstance. Also does a camera interfere with everything we are taking, particularly if we were to switch out lenses, which sounds like something that is not worth doing in a Jeep.

Thanks as always for your thoughts.

Barry

Comments

• Options
    As I suggested in another thread, get a good zoom lens that goes from semi-wide angle to telephoto (I use an 18-270mm = 27-400mm in 35mm camera terms).

Besides dragging the weight of multiple lenses along, you'll often be in a very dusty environment and you won't want to change lenses.

Ipads have cameras, but they aren't cameras. To track quick moving game you don't want to be holding up a tablet and trying to zoom with your fingers while seeing the display under very bright sunlight.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    As far as the iPad, I recommend not taking anything that you cannot secure around your neck because of sudden movements that the jeep might have to make. While it is usual for the vehicle to stop and turn off the engine so there is less camera shake, it is not unusual for the driver to have to suddenly move or back up without warning, if, for example he thinks a nearby elephant might be going to charge, yes happened to us more than once. In K and T, that for me in the Kenya part, we least preferred the type of vehicle with the pop up top than any of the other types of Safari vehicles we have traveled in, the agility required to hold a full sized iPad and climb up onto a seat would be fairly tricky.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I use a Tamron 16-300mm lens on my Canon SL-1 for everything at home and on tour - it worked great on K&T, and other trips. If you search you can find a number of threads on this very topic. As Portolan says, you don't want to be swapping lenses in a dusty environment.
  • Options
    During a recent trip in Kruger National Park, I used a really fast f1.4 fixed focal length lens before sunrise and after sunset. For the remainder of the time I used a 27-300mm lens. It took 30 seconds to change the lens and did it inside a small backpack while the Land Rover was stationary. Though a bit of a risk I didn't have a problem with internal dust. The protective filter in front of the lens was always getting dusty and I cleaned it frequently with a micro-fiber cloth.
  • Options
    On our K&T trip in September, I used my trusty Tamron 18-270 zoom lens -- with very good results. A longer zoom would have been even better! I totally agree with the comments that changing lenses in a bumpy, dusty, safari jeep would not be desirable, nor would use of an iPad. Enjoy your trip!
  • Options
    My zoom lens is 80-400. Did you find you needed a wider angle lens for any reason?
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    As I mentioned above, I used a 16-300 mm lens and it is the only lens I take and now use. Whether I really needed the wide angle portion of the lens' range on K&T I really can't say. But thinking back, probably not while on a game drive. A couple of animals came fairly close to the vehicles but not so close that they couldn't be captured with a 80 mm lens. The wider capability came into play at the Maasai village and at the lodge for entertainment, people, or table shots. For those you can use the standard supplied lens (55 mm or whatever). Look at some of my photos* of nearby subjects I have posted and mock up a similar shot with your lens to see if you get the same or an acceptable angle/coverage.

"Photography Question" https://www.tauck.com/yaf/default.aspx?g=posts&m=40189#post40189
    "Jeep Access" https://www.tauck.com/yaf/default.aspx?g=posts&t=10637
    "Best clothes to bring" https://www.tauck.com/yaf/default.aspx?g=posts&t=10177
    "Bumpiness" https://www.tauck.com/yaf/default.aspx?g=posts&t=7177
    "Arriving for August 8 Safari" https://www.tauck.com/yaf/default.aspx?g=posts&t=6635
    "December 17 trip getting close" https://www.tauck.com/yaf/default.aspx?g=posts&t=11305

There are tons of K&T posts about cameras, go through the forum archives and read them. Some get pretty technical. Here is an interesting one - mhilbush and HandyAndy took the kitchen sink! https://www.tauck.com/yaf/default.aspx?g=posts&t=3323
  • Options
    Hi Barry,

I'm going on the Feb 2nd trip and am pretty excited, been thinking about the photography issues for months, and have talked to some friends who are more advanced than me, about equipment. However, the kinds of folks I hang with are the "photo nuts and nerds", as they might refer to themselves. So they are avid, but good to go to for advice.

1. As I looked through the Tauck forum, I began to understand that their are all kinds of folks at all kinds of levels as far as photography is concerned, that go on Tauck tours. Most other tours that I've taken, the majority of customers use a camera casually, and for their needs a point and shoot works. They usually are more interested in learning about and enjoying their cultural environment and the locations. So the safari is different. It's photography oriented.

2. So, seems to me, the context is one of asking oneself what kinds of photos do you wish to take, what are you going to do with the images, and how much into practice and equipment do you want to get into. Kinda sounds like you want mostly to enjoy the safari experience, and document some of it, and hopefully get a few wonderful, stellar animal shots with emotional impact.

3. So what your goals are, and how much effort you want to put into this taking pictures thing shapes the equipment choices one makes. Basically, it would be nice to have a zoom lens that goes out to 400mm. I've seen some scenes from Handy Andy that took pics of predators making the kill -- and they were not close to the animals.

4. But a zoom lens that goes out to 400mm, in a DSLR is heavy, and expensive. If you aren't going to have other uses for the lens, or if photography really isn't that much of an interest, I'd like to suggest that you rent a lens for a couple of weeks, from vendors like borrowlens.com I've gone on photography workshops where the instructors have posed that option.

5. Whether you would be content with a lens that would go from wide angle to super-tele, or from "normal" to super tele is a personal choice. I, myself, will bring several lenses (because I'm a photo nut) and two camera bodies so that I won't have to change lenses). The Landcruiser isn't the only place that has photographic opportunities, so one envisions the types of photos one would try to get (e.g. weird super-wide sunsets) and match the equipment to what you are trying to accomplish. In other threads, there's been the issue of tripod or not -- and I would think that presents the same frame of reference -- if you need a tripod to accomplish a particular purpose, technique, etc., then you lug it. If your photographic interest and skill isn't at the level to warrant lugging that kind of equipment, then, you lighten up.

6. Sounds like it might be fun for you to rent a lens that goes out to 400mm. You might, for example, want to take not just animals in an environment, but animal PORTRAITS in an environment. Some folks might want to get in close with birds, and may go out to even 600mm. Tough, I imagine, in a Landcruiser though, that's an awfully unwieldy piece of equipment.

7. Go with the Rebel, bring lots of SD cards, you'll have much better resolution than an iPad, and who knows? You might just bag a picture you'll want to blow up onto your wall.

Hope this helps.

Doug

• Options
    I am in the middle of sorting photos of our most recent trip to Africa at the moment. I always make a photo book including plenty of written diary text in it, even with coupons it costs me a fortune. This time I am determined to narrow photos down even further. Scenery is very important to me, so I always take many shots of the landscape we are in and close ups of plants as well as animals. What I want are photos to jog my memory of the trip more than anything. By the way, this trip, I actually noticed that Mr. B. Used a Tamron lens, that's how much I notice about cameras. I have been using his old camera for about three years now and can't even remember the brand. However we both manage to get 'Wow' photos which is extra easy with modern photos editing. Our Safari vehicles have managed to get absolutely right next to just about every type of animal at some point on our safaris, Lions, elephants, leopards I could reach out and touch if I was silly enough, even rhinos and baby and so on. The only 'Kill' we have ever seen that we laugh about in our many safaris was a Serval catching a rodent. So all this talk of different lenses, OK you might miss a long distance shot, but is that one you will use in a photo book when you will get so many close-ups anyway. Eventually, you come to the realization that if you spend too much time taking photo after photo,you miss out on what there actually is to see all around you. Recent research I have read has been proving this very thing I had come to notice myself, that your memory fails to store the experience properly if you constantly take photos instead of just seeing it 'Live' so that instead of just recalling from memory, you have to get out the photos to do that.
    On some occasions, in different parts of Africa, we have been out on Safari and hardly seen any animals the whole of the two ours or so, but for us we just love the whole experience, it is so much more fun and life changing than just lying on a beach which so many of our friends prefer to do. So they are not really interested in our photos anyway, they are just for us, oh and to sit down for five minutes with a grandchild and show them the animals and talk about them. It must be working, our three year old granddaughter pointed to a photo of a lion the other day and said she knew he was a male lion because he had a mane, in fact it was a juvenile male, so the mane was not even that pronounced. Yikes, our genes are being passed down! We have our own circle of life happening right here at home!
  • Options
    An important point to remember is that while all the Tauck adventures we have joined have been as helpful as possible to accommodate individual needs, it might not always be possible for the entire group to pause continually while individuals fiddle with lens changes, animal portraiture, etc.. Catching the moment is very much the order of the day. I speak from experience where I delayed a stop (unwittingly) while I tried to get my prime shot from a good advantage point at one stop - comments at future stops made it quite clear in not any unkind way that I had sinned! Point taken from that point forward.
  • Options
    Richardb wrote:
    An important point to remember is that while all the Tauck adventures we have joined have been as helpful as possible to accommodate individual needs, it might not always be possible for the entire group to pause continually while individuals fiddle with lens changes, animal portraiture, etc.. Catching the moment is very much the order of the day. I speak from experience where I delayed a stop (unwittingly) while I tried to get my prime shot from a good advantage point at one stop - comments at future stops made it quite clear in not any unkind way that I had sinned! Point taken from that point forward.

Ah yes Richard is totally correct. On our first Safari the rest of the group ostracized two lovely ladies who wanted to stop for birds. It became so bad that we said we were happy to have more opportunity to see the beautiful birds and the tour director kept the four of us together in one vehicle so others could pursue more animals, they did not see more, they just did not stop for birds. The most annoying and rude people we have ever been with on all our Tauck tours.
    Happy New Year Richard! We are just about to go outside and shovel snow instead of taking the grandchildren to see Peter Pan.
  • Options
    Happy New Year to you to. No snow where we are, indeed we have hardly had a sprinkling all winter, which is a pity because (being on a photo topic) I have just acquired another camera - 35mm film this time, and am testing it out with black and white films. Totally different mindset after 15 years of instant digital doing everything but a real challenge. Thankfully my digital is a good standby although both being Leicas I have few worries. No Tauck plans yet for 2018 as my good wife awaits a new hip so shall see how that goes before booking our next trip. I still review the forum regularly though and get very excited.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    That's a great B-class airfare snag from Dulles.

A good camera and lens is important.. an iPad or iPhone is not a good alternative for wildlife shots.. you will be disappointed.. consider renting a 80-400mm lens.. yes rent. We went to T&K in July/August and light wasn't that great due to overcast sky and the relatively high f stop on my lens. I had some great photos but would have liked a better f stop i.e. f2.8. However, I could have auto-pushed the ISO up to 800 to compensate for the high f stop. "Pilot error" on my part...

Bring a lens sleeve with you to cover the camera and lens during the dusty road travel.
  • Options
    We are on the July 2018 Tanzania and Kenya trip. We are NOT technical camera experts by any stretch but we want to buy a camera that is moderately priced, relatively easy to use, can accommodate the bumpy ride, but which will take very good pictures of everything on this trip. We used our older digital camera, an Amazon Fire, and our I-phones on our 2017 Tauck Australian trip and they worked well but we are looking for upgraded equipment especially for this trip. We will probably download the pictures from the camera to Shutterfly and make a photo album. We would appreciate any camera suggestions and recommendations.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Best suggestion is to go to a local camera shop and with a price point in mind, see what they suggest for an APS-C sensor Mirrorless body, 18-24 MegaPixels, and equipped with approximately 35-300 effective mm zoom lens. You'll need an extra battery for the long days and get a UV/Haze filter to protect the front of the lens, which you will wipe the dust off of frequently. Alternatively you could search some of the online sellers and see what they offer in your price range.
  • Options
    Virginia Traveler: I went on K&T in 2014. It is spectacular!! So many animals to see. (We were there late June, early July). I labored over the decision with a camera. I debated over investing in really good camera and a lens with lots of zoom. However, after study, I decided that I did not want my obsession with photos to dominate the trip and that I was only going to make a photo book (through Apple) with my photos and maybe blow one or two up for framing. I generally use a 'point and shoot' on my trips. I have used an SLR, but I read of issues with dust and thought all of it too complicated. I decided on what is now the Canon SX540. It is a point and shoot. I left it on 'auto' setting the whole time and just zoomed out to shoot the photo I wanted. It takes regular snapshots, but it has incredible zoom -- 35 mm equivalent of 24 - 1200 mm. Just checked and prices around $400. I took it every day on the safari vehicles and did not worry about it bouncing around. I did take advantage of the zoom when we spotted some rhinos, and other animals at distance. Also used it to zoom in on birds we saw. There are great birds-- spectacular starling, crowned cranes, lavender billed something or other, etc. The drivers generally get you so close to wildlife. I was very happy with my Canon photos, but that being said, my niece who went with me had a high end Canon SLR camera with a zoom lens -- to 300 (?). When zoomed, her photos were better than mine, but either was great for the photo book. I was happy with my decision as just taking time to watch the animals and enjoy the African landscape was so much better than fussing over my lenses and worrying about dust. There were people on our trip who had amazing cameras and amazing lenses and who were far more sophisticated than me. I am sure that they have superior photos. As the trip wound down, many of us offered to share photos -- Tauck travelers are the best! Do take a buff to wear over your mouth and nose when dusty. Have a wonderful time! (I used the zoom feature instead of reaching for binoculars, and then it was nice that it was all on the screen vs a viewfinder.)
  • Options
    We are NOT technical camera experts by any stretch but we want to buy a camera that is moderately priced, relatively easy to use, can accommodate the bumpy ride, but which will take very good pictures of everything on this trip.

Moderately priced is a very relative term. Generally, for someone on a safari trip whose is looking for a better quality camera, I would recommend a superzoom (also know as a megazoom or bridge camera). These cameras have the long telephoto capability you'd like for wildlife and are relatively easy to use (though some have advanced functions for those who are interested). The also have viewfinders (electronic , not optical), unlike almost all point and shoot cameras these days. This means that you can frame your photo even in full sun. They don't have interchangeable lenses. They generally run in the $400 - $1000 range (hope that is in your moderate range).

Some things to watch for:

The zoom range. Some of these cameras have really long zooms. Anything over 600mm full frame equivalent is probably overkill. Don't be fooled by "digital zoom" this is just the camera cropping the picture (i.e. throwing out some of the picture). Concentrate on the optical zoom specifications.

Physical sensor size (millimeters not megapixels). The bigger the physical size of the sensor, generally the better quality of the picture and the better low light performance. Many of these cameras achieve their really long zooms by using a really small sensor. Better to go for bigger sensor and less zoom.

PC Mag has a article on the best cameras of this type (they do leave out the cheaper models). Here's the link:

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/348745/the-best-bridge-cameras

Also, be sure to protect your camera from the dust. Carry a ziplock bag and a microfiber towel. Have a blower (rubber squeeze bulb with nozzle) for use at the end of each day. Friends of ours went on this trip and got their brand new superzoom camera clogged with dust early in the trip (total unusable). They ended up using phone cameras and having to get the camera repaired when they got home.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    One of the posts in this thread mentions using Ipad/tablet for shooting and that got my little blue light flashing immediately. I am not a selfish person but people who use those pads on tours are, I find, a real pain. The group gathers for any photo opportunity, and naturally everyone wants to take a shot, but tablet users stand there holding their pads in front at head height blocking any fair opportunity for those behind. Even an "over the shoulder" shot from behind is not possible. This isn't just "humbug", but rather a plea to tablet users to exercise greater consideration for others in the group. We all want to enjoy the fantastic experience which Tauck sets up for us.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. We will definitely follow up on them.
  • Options
    to doctorbj ,Pat and I are on the same trip ( 8/9 ) and I have the same camera and lens.I have used this camera for several trips that had long range and closer shots and have great pictures to remind us of the Tauck Trips ,
    Not a nerd and I do take pictures but.I rather see the animals by binoculars or naked eyes instead of the pressure of getting that great shot that you might look at once or twice a year ( if that ). To us memory last longer then picture and you can recall it in a blink of the eye .
    never said we are normal . To each their own. See you P & M
  • Options
    Our first K&T trip we used a Canon T5i with a 250 zoom. Recently traded that for a 75-300 zoom which I think will be better. On one ‘funny’ shot, my wife was taking a picture of a lion on her side of the vehicle and kept zooming back as the lion got closer. She didn’t realize until after she took the last picture that the lion was only three feet away.
  • Options
    I love to watch photos from travel! I'm sure you'll also like this http://weedit.photos/2017/how-to-take-travel-photos/ A few tips that are interesting to me!
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Like others, I do recommend a good optical zoom for this trip - at least 300 mm. I did change lenses while in the safari vehicle as needed, but for the most part, the zoom was on.

My best advice - make friends and share pictures with each other. We had an incredible experience with a leopard that wasn't in the tree, but walking through the grass. Needless to say, about 20 safari vehicles were following along. I got an amazing zoomed photo of the leopard - you can count every whisker and every eyelash. But here's the really good part. Astonishingly, the leopard decided to cool off in the shade of a vehicle, and chose ours. At one point, he went under our vehicle. I had my zoom lens on and I peered down and took a picture of the only thing I could see - the tip of his tail. Thankfully, and I am so thankful, someone in another vehicle took a picture of us with me photographing the tail. The difference - their picture captured the entire leopard resting under our vehicle. Many of us had iPADs and the little adapter that allows you to download your pictures. And despite weak wifi, the person that took the picture emailed it to me that evening. WHAT A GIFT!

I also took pictures of people in their vehicles taking pictures of animals. At one point a giraffe came within 7 feet of a vehicle and I was able to capture that moment for those people. There were many other examples of well.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Ya gotta wait for them and the geometry is not always the best, but photos of photographers and their subjects can be interesting! (photos from K&T and P&G)

IMG_2332r.jpg

IMG_2007r.jpg

Not as close as CatLover8's leopard, but a bit after I shot this photo the female got up and took a few steps towards our vehicle. My wife swears it looked her right in the eyes and did the little dance house cats do before they charge, pounce, or attack (a toy, foot, etc.). It was convincing enough to my wife that she made a quick dive to the vehicle floor. The cat did not charge. : )

IMG_2748r.jpg

IMG_5826r.jpg

IMG_5587r.jpg

A fellow traveler took this great photo of me discussing the finer points of my camera and lens. But, more likely, I'm asking, "What does this button do?" : ) In the background are Huayna Picchu mountain and Machu Picchu ruins.

IMG_5233r.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Catlover, one of our favorite photos is of a lion sheltering under the front of another safari vehicle, my photo just shows the front paws. Our most recent favorite photo from November is a young male Desert elephant with his trunk literally wrapped around the rail on the roof at the back of our safari vehicle. I was looking right into his eye for several minutes. Another incident of not needing a telephoto lens!
    Sharing photos....
    AirDrop is fabulous, you don’t need to be connected to Wi-Fi at all, you just need to be near the person sharing the photo with you to transfer it to your iPhone or iPad.
  • Options
    British wrote:
    Catlover, one of our favorite photos is of a lion sheltering under the front of another safari vehicle, my photo just shows the front paws. Our most recent favorite photo from November is a young male Desert elephant with his trunk literally wrapped around the rail on the roof at the back of our safari vehicle. I was looking right into his eye for several minutes. Another incident of not needing a telephoto lens!
    Sharing photos....
    AirDrop is fabulous, you don’t need to be connected to Wi-Fi at all, you just need to be near the person sharing the photo with you to transfer it to your iPhone or iPad.

Good point British! Air Drop is great for apple-to-apple devices. As long as ipad is 4th generation or newer (or iPhone 5 or newer), and Bluetooth and WiFi are both on, that works. I was still very new to ipad and only had a 2nd generation one on our K/T trip.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    On the subject of sharing photos. One good way to share photos after the tour is to set up a sharing site on Shutterfly. Shutterfly (a photo printing website) will let you set up a custom website for free. I first became aware of this when someone set one up for our China tour. You can add the e-mail addresses of people on your tour and they will be able to upload pictures. The pictures can be viewed on the website (it will have an address like tourname.shutterfly.com), printed from Shutterfly or downloaded. No charge, no limit on the number of sites or pictures, and no expiration. It takes a little effort to set up the website, but is pretty easy. Be sure to set the security on who can upload. The users will need to create a Shutterfly ID, but that is the only requirement.

I use one of these websites to share all of my trip photos with friends. Really great.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Ken, are there any restrictions on file size/photo resolution? I would like a place to upload hi res photos. Currently I use Facebook which if selected, supposedly uploads in hi-res. I can’t verify that, but I know if I download a photo it is lower res than what I uploaded. Assuming a decent connection, how quickly are photos uploaded to SF?
  • Options
    We use Shutterfly to make our photo books. As far as I know you can download an unlimited number on there, but maybe not all at once, I think it is 1000 at a time. It’s a much quicker download time than it used to be. But once you want to make a book, you can only pull 1000 of them to chose to put in your book. This becomes very tedious to narrow it down to 1000. I have just made two books very recently, so I pared the photos down before I put any on the actual website. I always pull more photos than I need to chose from for the book because when you are making the book and you want several shots on one page, of you use their selections of pages/photos per page, some shots will not fit the allotted space, although you can ‘advanced edit’. It’s tedious, but I have been very pleased with my most recent books. A tip, I make the book, then wait for a 40 or 50% off deal and free postage before I order. The books can be expensive if you go crazy, but are a lovely souvenir.
  • Options
    I'm not talking about the number of photos, I talking about the file size of each image- I shoot in 18 megapixel mode (5184 p X 3456 p) which results in photos that can be up to 6.12 MB. As I said, some (many?) photo hosting and publishing websites restrict the size of each photo either during the upload or storage phase.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file