Canadian Rockies Sept 2-10, 2012

We're excited about our trip to Canadian Rockies & Glacier NP in Sept. We'll be staying in Calgary a day before as well as a day after the trip. Any suggestions on things to see / do that will not duplilcate Tauck's tour? Thanks.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    A couple of suggestions that Tauck does not cover:

Just down the road from the Fairmont Palliser where you'll be staying is the Glenbow Museum. It's a really excellent museum.

And right next door to the hotel is the Calgary Tower. I can't vouch for the experience. I got dizzy just looking up at it! I settled for the postcard!

Cheers,

Jan

• We went up the tower - great views of the city and a glass floor to walk on at the observation deck (if you can stand it!). The trip was well worth the investment - only thing we did not care for was that we were in a different hotel every night for the first 4 nights (pack accordingly). The Tauck tour guide was very knowlegeable (native of the area).
  • ... only thing we did not care for was that we were in a different hotel every night for the first 4 nights (pack accordingly). The Tauck tour guide was very knowlegeable (native of the area).

True, but the payoff is the string of Fairmonts that start with Lake Louise. My personal favourite is the Fairmont, Jasper Park Lodge. I've been there twice and I could stay there forever ... well, until winter. Possibly. Okay, not really for ever. I don't think you can get Vegemite in Jasper. It would be a very long Take Out from ? Whistler? Surely Vancouver ... Maybe a month would do the trick.
  • Thanks for the suggestions, I am heading there in June and going in two days early to Calgary so any suggestions would be great since I am a single traveler. Also heard to bring a hair dryer that they did not have them in the non Fairmount hotels.
  • Hairdryers? You know, I can't remember, so I obviously wasn't scarred by the experience! There are only 2 nights of non-Fairmonts, though. You might be able to rough it ;).
  • Patpowell wrote:
    We're excited about our trip to Canadian Rockies & Glacier NP in Sept. We'll be staying in Calgary a day before as well as a day after the trip. Any suggestions on things to see / do that will not duplilcate Tauck's tour? Thanks.

WE TOO ARE ARRIVING A DAY EARLY AND ON THE SEPT 2ND TOUR. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING UP ATTRACTIONS AND HAVE SOME IDEA OF USING THE FREE DAY-IF WEATHER PERMITS. THE FORT CALGARY AND THE HERITAGE PARK HISTORICAL VILLAGE SOUND INTERESTING. THERE IS ALSO A SAT. FARMER'S MK. WE ARE NOT CITY PEOPLE NEED guidance!
  • Another option: Calgary has a great zoo that is a short bus ride from the hotel. (Maybe it was a trolley or a tram!) I wanted to take pictures of the animals of the region so that I would have some in case we didn't see them up close during the tour. They had some fabulous birds, as well.
  • TENNISNUT wrote:
    WE TOO ARE ARRIVING A DAY EARLY AND ON THE SEPT 2ND TOUR. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING UP ATTRACTIONS AND HAVE SOME IDEA OF USING THE FREE DAY-IF WEATHER PERMITS. THE FORT CALGARY AND THE HERITAGE PARK HISTORICAL VILLAGE SOUND INTERESTING. THERE IS ALSO A SAT. FARMER'S MK. WE ARE NOT CITY PEOPLE NEED guidance!

Thanks for the suggestions. We're really excited about our upcoming trip. We hope the weather is good - then anything is possible. Just FYI I believe the welcome dinner is at Heritage Park.
  • jdurkin wrote:
    A couple of suggestions that Tauck does not cover:

Just down the road from the Fairmont Palliser where you'll be staying is the Glenbow Museum. It's a really excellent museum.

And right next door to the hotel is the Calgary Tower. I can't vouch for the experience. I got dizzy just looking up at it! I settled for the postcard!

Cheers,

Jan

Thanks - I'll check out both. The Tower especially sounds intriguing!
  • BEST TRIP EVER!
  • We have been to the Calgary zoo and it is quite nice. There is a stop on the tran line that iright at the front gate of the zoo. Very easy to get around on the tram system. Have a great trip.
  • I'm considering a Glacier National Park/Canadian Rockies trip for next summer and comparing differnt tours with the possibility of doing the trip on our own. I noticed that this Tauck tour stays at both Many Glaciers and Lake McDonald. I thought this was interesting since both accommodations are within the park, but I know every Tauck trip is carefully planned, so there must be a good reason for it. Can some of you who have been on the trip share your opinion on the advantages, if there are any, of staying at both hotels. Or is it just a hassle to have to change hotels after one night? If you could only choose one, which would you choose and why? TIA for any info!
  • edited September 2012
    Actually, it is a logistical issue. Just went on the trip earlier this month. Many Glaciers Hotel is the first night in the Park after arriving from Calgary. The next afternoon is a ride on tthe Going-to-the-Sun-Road in the old red Jammer cars to Lake McDonald Lodge. It would be difficult to retrace that route and come back again on the way up to Canada. Both hotels are fine, though Lake McDonald is a bit nicer.
  • Thanks Roamerman! I spoke to a friend of mine who visited Glacier this past summer and she basically had the same idea, although she ended up at Lake McDonald and Switfcurrent, since Many Glaciers was already fully booked. How was the Fairmont at Jasper? The other two Fairmont hotels look beautiful, but the Jasper hotel doesn't look that impressive even on the company's website and it's not very highly rated on trip advisor.
  • The Fairmont Jasper is a lovely property in a stunning setting. I think it's my favourite location in that neighbourhood! I know, I know. Lake Louise is stunning and Banff Springs in stunning. It's all stunning! You will have a fabulous trip, or even a stunning one! ;)

Cheers,

Jan
This discussion has been closed.