Options

spraying clothes with permethrin

Do we need to protect all clothes with permethrin or just the ones going out on safari? Also spray just the edges and top of socks?

Comments

• Options
    No need to spray your underwear. It is recommended that you spray all over your clothing but on our first trip to Africa we found it used a huge amount of spray, so after that we just sprayed necks, arm holes and leg holes. The mosquitoes are there whether you are out in the vehicles or not, but I know what you mean, you really don't need any dress up clothes, everyone wears Safari clothing around the lodges in the evenings.
  • Options
    What about in Livingstone and in Cape Town? What would you bring to wear there in early September?
  • Options
    Hi drdavidellis,
    We are currently at the Royal Livingstone in Zambia. Our tour starts at 1500 today. It is casual. Yesterday when we arrived (1400), it was comfortable in the shade but hot in the sun. We are sitting at the pool now. The water is very cold but people are dressed in swimsuits, shorts, t shirts, capris, etc. Last night at dinner, there were Dockers, slacks, golf shirts and regular shirts on men and woman had capris, Dockers, casual dresses, etc. We saw the whole gamut of dress.
    This morning on the way to breakfast, it was chilly. I wore my fleece. But by 0900, it was warming up.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    What about in Livingstone and in Cape Town? What would you bring to wear there in early September?
    First of all, check out the section on the page for your tour that says BEFORE YOU GO, then go into PREPARING TO GO where you will find a section on weather where you will see the usual average temperatures for all the places you are going. We were on this tour last September. Cape Town was cool as expected and actually dull and rainy, the tour down to the Cape was very wet and the boat trip was cancelled. It is a modern city in the tourist area and I love it. If you can extend your tour here, I recommend it because there is lots more to see, or go on the elegant South Africa tour which covers mostly other sites in Cape Town. We have been there before so we knew what it was like in good weather. Livingstone was hot and humid with lots of mosquitoes even in our room, we got bitten, they do provide spray. The hotel reminds me of the colonial era, relaxed and lovely. You can either wear safari clothing round the resort or casual clothing, neither will be out of place. We arrived a couple of days early to relax and took a helicopter ride over the falls and countryside as well as a lovely spa treatment amongst other things. We were refreshed from jet lag by the time the tour began. One of my favorites.
  • Options
    We are heading out to South Africa (including Kruger National Park) and Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. A few days ago I sprayed clothes for both of us and it was quite simple to do. I bought the premixed Permethrin and sprayed two sets of outer garments we will wear on the game drives. Ed
  • Options
    I sprayed my clothes for India... and there wasn't a need for it, plus it did ruin the color of my clothes.
    Have a great trip.
  • Options
    mel0849 wrote:
    I sprayed my clothes for India... and there wasn't a need for it, plus it did ruin the color of my clothes.
    Have a great trip.

Did you use Permethrin? It is not supposed to affect the material or colors; there was no visible discoloration to our tans and greens. Were you using it on locally dyed fabrics, like madras?

IMG_1486r.jpg
  • Options
    We were in S. Africa and Zimbabwe in September. We sprayed outer layers (shirts, vests, jackets, socks, pants, hats) of safari clothes with permethrin and had no issues with staining. We used Natrapel Wipes on exposed skin. Luckily we only encountered mosquitoes in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. Kruger National Park was still relatively dry so very few, if any, flying critters were around. Also took Malarone just to be safe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file