Options

American Safari: Yellowstone & the Tetons 7/5/17

Just got back from the tour. Wanted to provide some information and observations because I found the pre trip information a bit generic. The tour was an outstanding overview of the parks and Jackson Hole. If you are lucky enough to have Zack Pennington as your tour director you will be raving about his qualifications and professionalism by the end of your trip.

Perspective: My wife and I are in our mid to late 60's and are fairly fit - we walk and/or lift almost every day.

Activity level: Our view was that this was less than an activity level 4 trip. No planned walks exceeded 1.25 miles, all walks were on paved or hard packed trails (some graveled), few hills were encountered and all planned walks, bike rides, rafting or horseback rides had alternative activities. I brought hiking boots that I felt were unneeded. A good pair of sneakers worked just fine.

Pacing: Days are full. Bus travel was not boring - no runs are too long. Constant narration interspersed by videos keeps it moving. Lots of stops for great views and Tauck type unique activities. Free time on days 6 & 8 allow for more intense hiking or other activity. Always able to grab dinner by 7 and be in bed reading by 9:30 - enough time to grab solid sleep.

Packing: The white water rafting had some class 3 rapids and one class 4 set. We got wet. No water shoes were needed. Wet suits and booties are provided (free). Wear a swimsuit or synthetic shorts & top. There is a place to change and clothes are left on a school bus. Leave all valuables in your hotel safe - take nothing but your room key. Pix are taken as you ride the river and are available on a website for a fee (they are great)! There is an alternative raft float for the faint of heart - you don't get wet except for the soles of your shoes. In general - bring a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, bug spray and a camera (phone or other). Sweatshirt weather in the am, hot afternoons (JULY). Rain jacket advisable just in case. No real dress up required - collared shirt for Old Faithful Inn dining room and final dinner - you are in the parks.

Hotels - The Wort is a solid 4 star hotel. Lower your expectations for the park hotels -no AC (HOT in July), no TV, weak Internet and cell connections that were OK for calls but useless for all but simple email. In Yellowstone (Xanterra Resorts) we were at Canyon Lodge - The Washburn Lodge that opened 6 weeks previously. Rooms were new and efficiently laid out. Food was only fair to good. Snow Lodge at Old Faithful was quiet (compared to the Disney-like chaos at Old Faithful Inn) again with fair to good food. Rooms were not the cleanest. Jackson Lake Lodge (Vail Resorts) is an interesting set of contradictions. The main Lodge building has breathtaking views, excellent service and AC in the common areas. Food is excellent.The rooms were not particularly clean - don't inspect the corners or baseboards. Wifi is faster and a business office is available for free guest use (6 PC stations and a laser printer). Did I mention the views from the main lodge? Clearly the quality tradeoff being in 2 or 3 star Park hotels (vs the Tauck 4-5 star standard) is worth it due to their locations. The beds and towels are clean and fans are provided. You'll live.

Conclusion - a great way to experience this area!

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for sharing your insights, we are going on this trip in September 2017 and found your comments very useful for our packing as well as creating our expectations. How many people were on your tour?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file