Cape Cod, The Islands and Newport

We are currently set up to take this trip 8/18/12. We took the Classic New England tour several years ago and saw the fall colors. We were thinking this would be a good time to get out of the Texas heat and enjoy this tour. Was just wondering if anyone could let me know about the weather that time of the year. Thanks.

Comments

• Cathy -- We are also scheduled to take the 8/18/12 trip! We are from NE Iowa and this will be out 8th Tauck tour!! They are the best!! A friend of ours from San Antonio will also be joining us. We met her several years ago on a tour and have traveled with her several times since. If you want to e-mail me directly, my e-mail address is kathleengf@aol.com.
  • Hi, I Live right on the other side of the Cape Cod Sagamore Bridge. As far as weather it could be very hot or just right!!. I would think a few shorts, tees and capris with short sleeve shirts and maybe a couple of long sleeve shirts would be fine. My brother and his wife from Indiana were out here at that time a few years ago and it was very hot so you never know. I would say the evening might be a bit cool. Summer out here is very casual. Enjoy my part of the country and the wonderful seafood.
  • You will have a wonderful trip! I did this last July and it was fabulous. As for the seafood! I really thought I might grow gills by the time I got home. Wonderful lobster! (Notice I refrained from the old joke....Seafood? Oh, yes. See food and eat it!)

I agree ... it was hot. Make sure you have a good sun hat. Must protect our schoolgirl complexions at all times. ;)

Cheers,

Jan
  • august is a gorgeous time in New England. The coastal areas will be a bit cooler. Plan on 80s for high, it could be in 60s or 70s. Casual everywhere.
    As mentioned, sample the seafood. Lobster of course but also clams (fried) and fish (what ever is local).
  • We are Looking forward to joining the trip on Aug 18, our first Tauck tour, we are from Richmond,Va and hoping for cooler weather!!
  • All of the advice here is good. Remember; a key attraction of the Cape & Islands is the summer weather: We stick 50 miles out to sea, so the 65F ocean moderates both day & night temperatures. We're also away from city pollution, so the air tends to be crystal clear (when it isn't foggy); this is high UV land -- you'll need your sunglasses. The pattern is (roughly) that when it's 85F in Boston, it will be around 80F in Plymouth & Newport, around 75F in Chatham & P'town, and around 70F on the islands. Bring a sweater and/or light jacket -- coming from the Midwest, where it's recently been well up into the 90's, evening temperatures in the 60's here can seem chilly.
  • We just returned from the aug.4 Boston,cape cod and the islands tour. It was wonderful. Fred Pa 2000 was correct on all temperatures we experienced. Any questions for upcoming trips,I would be glad to respond.
  • I'm going on the July 27 trip and am looking forward to it. I've never been to that part of the country and the weather sounds wonderful. Leaving behind the 100+ temps. in TX will be will be a pleasure!
  • Don't think it won't be hot, rhughes! It was pretty hot, particularly in Provincetown, when I was there in July. Perhaps not as hot as in Texas, though. You will still need that hat and sunscreen!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Hi rhughes,
    We are also on the July 27th tour and are from Southern California. You will love this part of the USA. I've been visiting Boston since I was 7 years old to visit my relatives. In all these years, I have never been to Cape Cod.
    Sheila
  • Jan, thanks for reminding me, I do tend to forget that TX isn't the only place where it gets hot. And truth is, I stay under refridgerated air all day, so it's not like I'm out in the elements! I remember gettng very hot on the Canadian Rockies trip a few years ago and not being able to sleep in Jaspar because I only had one fan. I will bring my 30 sunscreen. Sheila, I look forward to meeting you. I love CA. I work for an oil company in Midland and spent weeks at a time in the Sacramento area when we drilled out there. But I've spent some time in LA too, where my old boyfriend lives. I also took the Tauck trip down Hwy 1 and loved that too. So, I'm going again with my parents, who are in their mid-seventies and live in the TX Hill country near Austin. I am counting the days. I go to NYC often but have never been to Boston or any of the other destinations.
    Robin
  • Hi Robin,

Looking forward to meeting you and your parents on the trip. We've been on 19 Tauck Tours and loved them all. I'm quite sure this one will be as good. We are staying in Boston after the tour to spend a little time at the end with our granddaughter and her fiance' and some relatives.

Sheila
  • Hi Robin,

Looking forward to meeting you and your parents on the trip. We've been on 19 Tauck Tours and loved them all. I'm quite sure this one will be as good. We are staying in Boston after the tour to spend a little time at the end with our granddaughter and her fiance' and some relatives.

Sheila
  • I'm looking forward to meeting you too, Sheila. This will be my 3rd Tauck Tour and I've enjoyed them all as well!
    Robin
This discussion has been closed.