Blue Danube River cruise.

Hi,

For those of you who have done this trip could you tell me any sights you thought were really important to see besides the excursions that Tauck already has planned. We are on the early June cruise from Prague to Budapest. Chocolate in Vienna is alrady on the list. I guess beer most anyplace is also a no brainer.

Gyrfalcon

Comments

• You might want to read the past reviews - in particular the Most Memorable Moment section. I always find them useful.
  • edited February 2017
    gyrfalcon wrote:
    Hi,

For those of you who have done this trip could you tell me any sights you thought were really important to see besides the excursions that Tauck already has planned. We are on the early June cruise from Prague to Budapest. Chocolate in Vienna is alrady on the list. I guess beer most anyplace is also a no brainer.

Gyrfalcon

In Prague, there were many, many places to walk to from our hotel, which was just around the corner from the Charles Bridge. Shopping venues are bountiful... Bavarian crystal, jewelry, sidewalk cafes, restaurants, etc.... We stayed two extra days in Prague after the tour was completed (we were on the west bound cruise) and also two extra days on the front-end in Budapest. They both are fabulous (as well as everything in between these cities, which I could expand upon also) and we walked around quite a bit stopping whenever we saw something that was especially intriguing.

In Budapest, Anna Cafe was a neat place to stop in the afternoon and sit outside with a glass of wine with cheese and watch the foot traffic stroll by for an hour or two. Plenty to do... just get out and walk in both cities... it is safe. We went last August (2016) and the entire trip was absolutely fabulous. We elected to take the Cesky Krumlov day tour versus the Salzsburg tour. Cesky Krumlov was fascinating. We had lunch on the river at Papa's and sampled the beer and local lunch cuisine. After returning to the boat that afternoon and comparing notes with the cruisers who went to Salzsburg, it was felt that we made the right decision... not that there was anything bad about Salzburg but most felt Cesky Krumlov was a better experience... a wonderful place!

We were on the ms Joy and the crew was awesome as was the boat. We were fortunate in that absolutely everyone on this cruise was compatible and there were no pretenses in evidence. Within reason, wear what you want, when you want and participate in as many activities as you can. A great trip... the best we have ever taken. We are booked on the England, Scotland and Wales land tour with Tauck starting August 13, 2017 and we look forward to it.... already looking at the Classic Italian tour for possibly next year and the Grand European Cruise for a future year as well as Scandinavia... all with Tauck. They are undoubtedly the best so why change? You will not be sorry you went on this cruise.
  • Be sure to spend 1-2 extra days in Prague--there is SO much to do there that Tauck doesn't cover. In Vienna, we really enjoyed the Spanish Riding School, which was a Tauck option on our trip, but not everyone chose that. Tauck covers Budapest well, but "Shoes on the Danube" is an important thing to see that is not included.
  • gyrfalcon wrote:
    Hi,

Gyrfalcon
  • In vienna it's best to buy Mozart's Balls (delicious chocolates) in the grocery store, not at a gift shop!!!
  • How about the Bridges Danube cruise on 1 July - anybody from Northern Virginia going?
  • Hi, I am also on the June 1 Prague-Budapest cruise. I am going with my two sisters. It is our first river cruise and first time in this area so we are very excited.

Anyone else on that cruise? My sisters are Patrice and Joan. I am Susan. We are from California.

Nice to meet you all.

thanks

susan
  • If you have time in Prague go to a concert. We got tickets through the concierge and they had their car take us and pick us up. We went to the Liechtenstein Castle

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file